My Fudgy Brownie Cookie Birthday Cake (plant-based)
It was my birthday recently, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of cake.Still, I wanted to make something to celebrate (that I would actually eat), so I came up with this idea.Layers of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, vegan mango mousse, fudge brownie, and chocolate buttercream. I couldn't imagine a birthday cake more decadent and indulgent. This was also the showstopper for the second season of the Great British Bakeoff Cake Week.The assignment was to bake a "tiered celebration cake with elaborate, multi-layer design."I think it was my favorite birthday cake so far!Great British Bakeoff Vegan: Season 2, Episode 1 (Cake Week), Showstopper
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie layers
Fudge brownie layers
- Follow buttercream recipe at https://maitricooks.com/2022/09/14/triple-threat-chocolate-brownie-surprise-cupcakes-plant-based/
- 1 jar mango jam
- 1 container plant-based whipped cream
- 1 package fondant or marzipan for molding into shapes
- 1 ripe mango
- Make the cookie dough. Spread into two 9” cake pans, bake at 350F for 25 mins. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out the cookie layers to cool on a wire rack. Wrap and freeze one as is, and cut a 1" edge off the entire second layer to make a 7" layer. Wrap and freeze that one too until you're ready to assemble.
- Make the brownie batter. Spread into two 9” cake pans, bake at 350F for 25 mins. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out the brownie layers to cool on a wire rack. Wrap and freeze one as is, and cut a 1" edge off the entire second layer to make a 7" layer. Wrap and freeze that one too until you're ready to assemble.
- Make the buttercream according to the recipe. Store in the fridge until you're ready to assemble the cake.
- Make the mango mousse. Just mix the jam with the whipped cream and keep refrigerated.
- When you're ready to assemble, get a round cake plate ready. Place the 9" cookie layer in the middle of the plate, then spread 2/3 of the mango mousse evenly over it. Gently place the 9" brownie layer on top of that. Frost the entire lower layer with about 1/2 of the buttercream (you might not need that much). Repeat the layers by putting the 7" cookie layer centered on top of the 9" cake, then the rest of the mango mousse, then the 7" brownie layer, then frost with buttercream, saving some for decorations.
- Decorate with a sliced mango arranged into a flower on top, piped buttercream stars around each layer, and a diagonal line of fondant or marzipan flowers and hearts up the cake. Tuck into the deliciousness! Leftovers keep well in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
1 thought on “My Fudgy Brownie Cookie Birthday Cake (plant-based)”
Best birthday cake ever! 🙂