Triple Threat Chocolate Brownie Surprise Cupcakes (plant-based)
My daughter Samantha came up with this recipe several years ago, and it was so good that I lay down right in the middle of the kitchen floor.You take a moist cupcake batter, scoop a dollop of rich brownie batter into the center, bake, and cover with delicate chocolate buttercream frosting and dots of whipped cream. What's not to like? Also, it's all vegan.The brief for the final episode of season 1 of the Great British Bakeoff was to make a batch of identical, professional-looking mini cakes. For me, if it's cake, it has to be chocolate. The more chocolate, the better. These definitely taste professional, and hopefully my baking is starting to look that way too. Thanks for following along!Great British Bakeoff Vegan: Season 1, Episode 6 (Final Week), Signature Bake
- ½ cup vegan butter or margarine, melted
- 1 ½ cups coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup soy milk
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup cocoa
- 5 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup whipped vegan cream (not part of the buttercream)
- Make the brownie batter. In a small bowl, mix the melted margarine and coconut sugar together until it turns into a thick cream. Stir in the soy milk and vanilla. In a larger bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips. Then pour the liquid mix into the dry mix and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside while you make the cupcake batter.
- Make the cupcake batter. In a medium bowl, whisk the soy milk and vinegar, and let it sit for 3 minutes to curdle. Then add the coconut sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extracts, and whisk until frothy. In another medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour the dry into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined, but don’t overmix. It's ok if it has a few small lumps.
- Fill 12 lined muffin tins up 1/2 way with cupcake batter, then add about a tablespoon of brownie batter to the middle and press it down into the cupcake batter. It will still be visible at the top but should be relatively flat with the cupcake batter.
- Bake at 350F for 20 mins until the top looks dry and a toothpick inserted into the cupcake batter part comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then finish cooling on a metal rack.
- Make the buttercream. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, whip the vegan butter and cocoa. Add in half of the icing sugar, followed by half the soy milk, and mix again. Add the remaining icing sugar and soy milk, plus the vanilla, and mix again. If it seems too dry, add 1 tsp more soy milk at a time until it’s creamy and thick enouch for piping. You don’t want it to be too runny or dripping off a spoon.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes with a fancy swirl of buttercream using a piping bag, then add little dots of whipped cream. Play around with different piping tips to get different effects. Enjoy!
8 thoughts on “Triple Threat Chocolate Brownie Surprise Cupcakes (plant-based)”
Facebook comment from Rebecca: Fantastic!
Facebook comment from Nina: Nom nom nom. I’d like to have some 🤤
Facebook comment from Mina: Yummy 😋
Facebook comment from Jan: Gotta love chocolate!
Instagram comment from Evan: 😍😍😍
Instagram comment from Nika: 🥰
Instagram comment from Laura: @maitricooks wow!🙌
10 stars, really!!