Zucchini Lemon Drizzle Cake (plant-based)
I was looking for a sweet way to use up all the zucchini from our garden, for a change from all the zucchini pasta, zucchini and potatoes, and zucchini chili on the menu for the past few weeks.The BBC had a wonderful-looking recipe for a zucchini lemon drizzle cake, so I adapted it here to be vegan, a bit lower in sugar, and to make 2 loaves for lots of happy teatime tummies.It reminds me of drinking tea out of a fancy china teacup on a rainy afternoon in Scotland, with a fresh slice of lemon drizzle cake to sweeten the day.My grandma would always have treats around in the middle of the afternoon for teatime, so I guess I'm following in her footsteps. 🙂You really can't taste the zucchini in this cake – it's just a super moist, luscious cake like a good lemon drizzle should be.Wishing you a bright and lovely day!
- MAKES 2 LOAF CAKES
- 160 g vegan butter or margarine
- 300 g white sugar or monkfruit sugar
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 200 mL soy milk
- 200 g ground almonds
- 350 g all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 350 g zucchini, grated
- 200 g icing sugar
- Cream together the margarine, sugar, and lemon zest until it forms a thick cream. (Save the lemon juice for the icing, don't add it to the batter.)
- Slowly add in the soy milk and mix well.
- Add the almonds, flour, baking powder, and salt and stir it in just until everything is combined. Then mix in the zucchini.
- Split into two greased loaf pans and bake for 55-60 minutes until a chopstick stuck into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave it in the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar with 1 Tbsp lemon juice and stir it together. If you need to, keep adding 1/2 tsp of lemon at a time until it's a nice thick but spreadable icing.
- Take the cakes out of the tins when they're mostly cool, spread the icing over the top of each one, and let it drip down the sides of the cake. Let it sit to harden for 20-30 minutes if you can wait that long, then slice and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Zucchini Lemon Drizzle Cake (plant-based)”
Facebook comment from Joyce: Zucchini and lemon….yes!!! 😋 YUM!
Facebook comment from Virginie: That looks delicious 😋
Soooo lemony and delicious!