Zucchini and Potatoes with Beans and Greens (plant-based, gluten-free)
Our garden is producing zucchinis at a prolific rate, so I'm making as many creative zucchini dishes as I can think of. Here is an especially delicious one, based on an Italian recipe I remember having when I was younger. It's a warm, soft, comforting mix of potatoes, zucchini, and beans, with some aromatic herbs and greens to round it out.I could eat this all day. For today's inspiration, here is a saying attributed to Muhammad Ali:"Don't count the days. Make the days count."If you only had today to live, how would you enjoy it?
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh sage, chopped, or 1 tsp dry sage
- 6 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 large zucchinis, diced
- 1 can kidney beans (or you can cook them from dry beans with a bay leaf added for extra flavor)
- 1 bunch garden greens, chopped (I used bok choy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and stirfry for 2 minutes until it starts to get golden, then mix in the sage to wake it up.
- Add the potatoes and mix them in so they get nicely covered in garlic and sage, and let them cook for a few minutes to gently brown, then add about 3/4 cup water so they're not frying.
- Let the potatoes cook for about 5 minutes more then mix in the zucchini. Let them cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the zucchini and potatoes are both tender but not mushy.
- Finally, mix in the beans, greens, and salt and pepper to taste. Give it a good stir and turn off the heat. The heat remaining in the pan will cook the greens just enough.
- Serve hot, with vegan parmesan on top or just as is. Even non-vegans love this dish!
1 thought on “Zucchini and Potatoes with Beans and Greens (plant-based, gluten-free)”
The best comfort food! 🙂