Scones with Fruit and Cream (plant-based)
These quick scones are delicious to whip up for a weekend breakfast. They are crisp on the outside and so soft inside, pulling apart easily into two halves that can be loaded up with fruit and (plant-based) cream.Try them with fresh berries, kiwi, or mango to brighten up your morning.This is my adaptation of the technical challenge set by Paul Hollywood in season 1, episode 2 of the Great British Bakeoff. I took his recipe and made it vegan, with some whole grain flour and unrefined sugar. 🙂If you try it, let me know how it goes for you! I hope you love it.Great British Bakeoff Vegan: Season 1, Episode 2, Technical Challenge
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax seeds soaked in 5 Tbsp water)
- Berries, kiwi, mango, or other bite-sized pieces of fruit
- Plant-based whipped cream
- In a large bowl, mix the first 5 dry ingredients. Using a knife, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy milk and flax eggs together, then add to the flour mix and stir just until combined into a nice dough – not too sticky, not too dry. Knead it gently for about a minute to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated, but don't overwork the dough or it won't rise properly.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2″ thick. Use a large glass or cookie cutter to cut out 8 circles, or if you prefer wedges, use a knife to divide up the dough into any shape you like for the scones.
- Put the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush them with a little bit of soy milk (optional), and bake at 400F for 15 minutes, or until they are starting to turn golden brown.
- Serve your scones warm with fruit and whipped cream, nutella, honey, or eat them straight up. To reheat any leftover scones, pop them in the oven at 350F for 3-5 minutes. Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Scones with Fruit and Cream (plant-based)”
Instagram comment from evancarmichael: Looks so good 🙌
Such a fluffy and delicious breakfast!
Pingback: 9 Budget-Friendly Recipes to Delight Your Family Without Breaking the Bank – Sustainable Living Dojo