Really Good Dinner Rolls (plant-based)
Hot and fresh from the oven, these dinner rolls bring me back to my Italian grandmother's kitchen.The recipe is inspired by a Chilean bread called pan amasado.If you have a couple of hours and feel like some bread-making fun, the happy smiles on everyone's faces as they bite into these soft and heavenly rolls will light your heart.For today's inspiration, here's a fun quote from cooking legend Julia Child:“How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like kleenex?”Thankfully, this bread tastes nothing like paper products. I hope you enjoy both the process of making it and the delicious end result!
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 ¼ cups hot water (about 110F)
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- In a small, non-metal bowl, mix the yeast, coconut sugar, and hot water. Stir gently, then let it sit for about 5 minutes to bloom the yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together, then add the yeast mixture and melted butter. Stir with a wooden spoon, then switch to your hands, mixing until it comes together into a ball. Add a tiny bit more water or flour as needed if it's too dry or sticky.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes until it is a soft, smooth, and elastic ball. Put it in a bowl covered with a damp towel and rest it at room temperature for about 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- After it has risen, punch the dough down and cut it into 12 equal pieces (I weigh them for consistency). Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it gently with your hand so it's a disc about 1/2" thick. Put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and poke the top of each disc with a fork a few times.
- Cover with a towel and rest at room temperature for about 1/2-1 hour until they look a bit puffy.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until they are nice and golden. Enjoy them hot and fresh from the oven!
3 thoughts on “Really Good Dinner Rolls (plant-based)”
Instagram comment from youngpersonsguidetofood: These look great 😍
Thank you so much! 😍
SOOOOO good 🙂