Fasolada Bean Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)
This healing soup uses dry beans, but the extra time is so worth it.Fasolada tastes like eating lunch in a Greek grandmother's kitchen. It's fresh, hearty, and you can taste the love.I hope you enjoy it.For today's inspiration, we just got a new puppy! His fur is incredibly soft and golden. He loves cuddling so much that it makes us laugh.I'll bundle some of that puppy love and send it out to you today.“Scratch a dog and you’ll find a permanent job.” – Franklin P. Jones
- 2 + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sprig of fresh oregano, chopped
- Pinch of paprika or smoked paprika
- 3-4 carrots, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste or 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 500g dry cannellini beans, soaked for at least 4 hours then boiled for 1 hour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups chopped greens (spinach, broccolini, kale, chard, whatever you like)
- 1 cup baby shell pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- Soak your beans overnight, then boil for 1 hour, rinse and drain.
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to start to soften it.
- Next, add the garlic, oregano and paprika, followed by celery and carrots. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato and continue stirring and cooking for another minute.
- Add the pre-boiled beans, and pour in enough water to generously cover the beans. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer the fasolada for about 35 minutes, until the beans are tender but not mushy.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, season with salt and pepper and add in the chopped greens, pasta, and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Boil for a few more minutes, until the soup becomes thick and creamy and the pasta is cooked.
- Enjoy your fasolada piping hot and feel the love!
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
1 thought on “Fasolada Bean Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)”
So healing and yummy!