Sweet and Sour Orange Tofu (plant-based, gluten-free)
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Green onions and/or toasted sesame seeds as a garnish
Bake the tofu
- Press the tofu by wrapping it in a clean towel and leaning on it to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes and mix it gently with the olive oil, tamari, and cornstarch to coat each cube in the sauce.
- Spread the tofu cubes out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Using a flapjack, flip the tofu cubes over and bake for 15 more minutes, until they are crispy and golden, then take them out of the oven.
Make the orange sauce
- In a medium pot, mix all the ingredients for the sauce. Bring to a boil, then turn it down to medium-low heat and simmer for several minutes, stirring frequently, until it gets nice and thick.
- Now add the baked tofu to the pot and stir to coat the tofu in the sauce. Remove from heat. Serve with green onions and/or sesame seeds sprinkled on top, with a side of rice and veggies.