Lentil potato cashew curry (plant-based, gluten-free)
This curry is adapted from a delicious Sri Lankan recipe. I love the creaminess of blending cashews with rich spices. The red lentils dissolve to create a thick and lovely soup. And it's adaptable to any vegetables you have on hand.I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!For today's inspiration as sprouts start to emerge in my garden, here is a poem by Henry Wordsworth Longfellow:"Kind hearts are the gardens,Kind thoughts are the roots,Kind words are the flowersKind deeds are the fruits.Take care of your gardenAnd keep out the weeds,Fill it with sunshine,Kind wordsAnd Kind deeds."Wishing you great kindness in your day today, including kindness to yourself.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and then drained
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 block tofu, cubed
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ 400 ml tin coconut milk
- Enough water to cover the potatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus or other veggies, chopped
- 2 handfuls baby spinach, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked brown rice to serve
- Start the brown rice cooking (boil 1 part rice with 2 parts water, then simmer for about 45 minutes).
- Blend the garlic, ginger, coriander, cashews, and a bit of water into a paste using your blender or food processor.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown.
- Stir the blended cashew-curry paste into the onion, then add the red lentils and mix well to coat the lentils in the yummy flavors.
- Add the tofu, potatoes, coconut milk, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, stirring every 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes total).
- Finally, add the asparagus, spinach, and lemon juice. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve your curry hot with the cooked brown rice. Enjoy!
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
5 thoughts on “Lentil potato cashew curry (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Instagram comment from Helen: Amazing colour! 😍😍
Facebook comment from Kobi: I think it’s time to open a restaurant, so I can order the food you post🤩
@Kobi Haha thank you! ☺🙏
Facebook comment from Rebecca: Looks and sounds amazing