Chocobanana Squares (plant-based)
This is the first recipe I ever made up, when I was still a student in college.I invented these moist chocolate banana squares as a way to use up extra bananas, with a good dose of chocolate and some healthy oats too.It’s one of my favorite treats for any mood, and it’s what I still bake for myself on my birthday. 🙂Here is another favorite from college, a quote from the book Walden by Henry David Thoreau:“A single gentle rain makes the grass many shades greener. So our prospects brighten on the influx of better thoughts. We should be blessed if we lived in the present always, and took advantage of every accident that befell us.”May we take advantage of today’s accidents, and freshen our minds with better thoughts.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bran or oatmeal
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 4-5 ripe bananas (4 if using bran, 5 for oats)
- ⅓ cup vegan butter or margarine
- 2 flax eggs (each flax egg = 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds soaked in 2 1/2 Tbsp water for 5 mins)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix the first 6 dry ingredients plus chocolate chips together.
- In a blender, blend up the remaining wet ingredients and stir them into the dry just until combined.
- Grease a 9×13″ pan and pour the batter into it.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, and enjoy! These squares are amazing straight from the oven, and excellent to freeze and reheat another day as well.
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
3 thoughts on “Chocobanana Squares (plant-based)”
Instagram comment from Quincy: I love those old recipes that we always go back to because they are our favourites❤️
Instagram comment from Rob: Sweet 😋 I need to learn to make some plant based treats 😍
My favorite treat!