Adasi Lentil Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)
Lentils and turmeric are both superfoods, filled with nutritional benefits for the human body as well as our mental health. Adasi lentil soup is a comforting dish that mixes in some potato, zucchini, onion, and sage with the lentils and turmeric for a lovely winter dinner. It makes my whole self smile.For today's inspiration, I'm reminding myself that I already have everything I need. I have a habit energy from my past that I need to keep striving, that I'm invisible, that I need to cling to any scrap of kindness people show me like I'm dying of thirst in the street.The truth is, I need to be kinder to myself and let go of desire. Nothing from the outside is going to change this feeling of needing more. It has to happen from the inside.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 ½ cups dry green, brown, or red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- ½ lemon or 1 lime, squeezed
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat and add in the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until it turns translucent, then add the garlic, celery, carrots, turmeric and sage, and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir the dry lentils into the mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes, to coat the lentils in all the yummy spices, then stir in the chopped potatoes and zucchini.
- Add enough water to just cover everything in the pot, bring to a boil, then put the lid on the pot, turn down to a medium-low simmer, and let it cook for about 20 minutes for red lentils (30 minutes for green or brown).
- After everything is nice and tender, take a potato masher and mash up everything in the pot, leaving a few chunks of vegetables if you like.
- Add the salt, pepper, vegan butter and lemon, and stir until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve and enjoy your healing creation!
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
4 thoughts on “Adasi Lentil Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Facebook comment from Tanya: Yum! I might make this today. 🙂
Wonderful! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 🥰
So healing! 🙂
Pingback: 9 Nutritionally-Balanced Recipes to Keep You Happy and Healthy – Sustainable Living Dojo