White Bean Feijoada (plant-based, gluten-free)
Feijoada is like a Brazilian chili. We made it with white beans, tomatoes, peppers, vegan ground meat, and some lovely warming herbs and spices.The rich flavors and healing comfort in this wonderful bowl will nourish you and keep you cozy on a wintry day.Today’s reflection is a compassion meditation from the Buddhist tradition:May I be safe and protectedMay I be peaceful and happyMay I be healthy in my body and my mindMay I be freeMay I understand my suffering deeply so I can transform it into joyMay you and all beings also be safe, happy, healthy, and free from suffering
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, blended
- 2 cups black or white beans, rinsed and drained (or cooked from dry beans)
- 1 cup vegan ground meat or TVP
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to soften and get a little bit browned.
- Next, add the garlic, bell pepper, and chili powder, and stirfry for another 3 minutes or so.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, beans, and vegan meat. Cover and let it gently bubble for 10 minutes or so to combine all the flavors.
- If you have longer to simmer the feijoada, go ahead – the flavors will develop richly with more time. Serve it hot with brown rice or gluten-free bread. Leftovers are fantastic too. Feel the love!
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
2 thoughts on “White Bean Feijoada (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Facebook comment from Giovanni: Yummy!
A lovely variation on our regular chili, very comforting! 🙂