Coconut Tofu Curry (plant-based, gluten-free)
I’m finally getting more comfortable with curries, where I can just cook and invent and adjust without following a recipe. I can do this for Italian and British cooking, since that’s what I grew up with, but expanding my repertoire is wonderful too. For this take on Thai curry we play with broccoli, mushrooms, kale, tofu, and coconut milk to make some culinary magic.Today's inspiration comes from the snowy landscape outside my window.“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” ― Lewis CarrollWishing you snug reflections and moments of joy today until the sun shines again in our hearts.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, chopped up
- 3 cups cups cooked brown rice
- Chop and prepare all your ingredients, and cook the rice if it's not already cooked.
- Then, in a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, curry powder, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper. Stirfry for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and the spices smell incredible.
- Next, stir in the flour into the onions and cook for 2 minutes to thicken, then gradually stir in the broth until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add in the broccoli, mushrooms, and kale, followed by coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, lemon juice, and tofu. Simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until broccoli is tender but still bright green.
- Serve the coconut tofu curry hot over rice, and enjoy your bowl of curried comfort. ❤️
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
10 thoughts on “Coconut Tofu Curry (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Instagram comment from Nina: This look delicious. Can I order from you 🤤
Facebook comment from Martha: YUM!
Facebook comment from Evan: Looking good ❤
@Evan Thanks! 😍
Facebook comment from Marsha: Thank you! Your recipes are fabulous. Thanks for sharing so generously!! ❤
@Marsha You are most welcome! 🙂
Facebook comment from Louise: Thanks for inspiring me today
Facebook comment from Louise: Yum yum yum!! Love curry especially with 🍋 grass and ginger ⚡️
@Louise Right? Soooo yummy 😃
Soooo good 🙂