Mushroom Stroganoff (plant-based, gluten-free)
We used to make this dish with beef and dairy, but I’d say we all enjoy this vegan mushroom stroganoff even more. It gets bonus points for not leaving a super heavy feeling in your stomach for hours after eating it. For today’s inspiration, I’d like to suggest that instead of running away from whatever pain you have in your life, what if you turned towards the suffering, wrapped it in a cozy blanket, and told it you’re here and it will be ok?Sometimes I wrap my fear in a blanket in my mind and it really helps. 🙂 I think I probably adapted this from the Plum Village method of how to deal with strong emotions.May your day and your night be well.
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- ½ to 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup plant-based ground meat or TVP
- ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour or brown rice flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 12 oz tub vegan sour cream
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound of your favorite gluten-free pasta or noodles
- In a large pot, heat the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, and garlic, and mix well. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the veggies are nice and brown.
- Add the ground “meat” and flour, mix well to combine, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, vegan sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the yummy bits stuck to the bottom of the pot and stir them in. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a gentle bubble and cook for about 5 more minutes to thicken the sauce. Stir frequently.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to package directions, then toss the cooked pasta into the finished sauce along with the peas. Mix well, then immediately scoop your vegan mushroom stroganoff into many bowls for hungry mouths. It keeps well for future reheating too. Enjoy the love!
Did you make this? Please let me know by tagging @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Happy cooking, and lots of love! ❤️🤗🙏
3 thoughts on “Mushroom Stroganoff (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Facebook comment from Tessa-Marie: Comfort food
Facebook comment from Annanie: Looks delicious 😋
What could be better than a creamy, mushroom-y pasta? 🙂