Cauliflower Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy (plant-based, gluten-free)
Here is a healthy version of mashed potatoes with gravy, a classic comfort food. We mash cauliflower in with the potatoes for a lovely moistness, then smother it in a vegan mushroom gravy that satisfies even the folks who are used to meat and dairy-based gravies. For today's inspiration, I'd like to share a quote about transitions for anyone going through a life change right now:"I saw the leaf leave the branch and float down to the soil, dancing joyfully, because as it floated, it saw itself already there in the tree. It was so happy." – Thich Nhat Hanh, “The Other Shore”
- 8-10 Yukon gold potatoes, cut up into small pieces
- 1 cauliflower, cut up into larger pieces
- 2 Tbsp margarine or vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves minced
- 1 package mushrooms (any kind)
- 2 tsp brown rice flour
- 1 ½ cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up the potatoes and cauliflower and add them to a big pot of water on the stove. Turn the heat to high until it comes to a boil, then turn down slightly and keep boiling (but not boiling over) for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender and you can easily poke a fork through them.
- Move to step 3 to make the gravy while they’re cooking. Then drain the water and move the veggies to a bowl.
- While the vegetables are boiling, make the gravy. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook for several more minutes to let the water out of the mushrooms.
- Once the water is mostly gone, stir in the flour, then slowly add in the broth and soy sauce, stirring constantly to make sure the flour doesn’t get lumpy. Simmer for a few more minutes, stirring frequently, until the gravy is as thick as you like.
- Add the margarine, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the drained potatoes and cauliflower. Mash them well with a fork or potato masher, or use an electric mixer if you want them extra smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with the mushroom gravy. This pairs nicely with vegan sausages and a salad.
Did you make this? Please tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love!
5 thoughts on “Cauliflower Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Facebook comment from Nina: This looks so good!
@Nina Thanks! It’s similar to what I made for Thanksgiving. 🙂
Ultimate comfort food!
Pingback: 9 Nutritionally-Balanced Recipes to Keep You Happy and Healthy – Sustainable Living Dojo
Pingback: Dilly Salmon Cakes: #164 of 1000 Sustainable Food Experiments – Sustainable Living Dojo