Creamy Zucchini Pasta (plant-based, gluten-free)
- 3-4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- ¾ cup water or vegetable broth
- 4-5 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 bunch chard, collard greens, or kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 pound fusilli or other short, gluten-free pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nutritional yeast for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Gather, wash, and chop all your ingredients. In a medium pot over medium high heat, boil the zucchini, garlic, salt, and water together. Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes until the zucchini is tender. Then pour everything from the pot into your blender, add the basil and olive oil, and blend together until smooth.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add salt as desired – I put in a small handful – then add the pasta, bell peppers, and greens. Cook according to package directions. Drain the pasta and veggies in a colander and return them to the pot.
- Pour the blended zucchini sauce over the pasta and give it a good mix. Serve hot. It’s delicious as is, but some of us like to sprinkle nutritional yeast over top for a cheesy flavor. Enjoy! The extra leftovers also freeze well for reheating another day.