Beets and Greens Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)
Whenever beets are in season, I make this beets and greens salad. It uses the whole beet – roots and green leaves – so nothing is wasted. With a few cashews or pumpkin seeds thrown in and a tangy sweet dressing, it’s a lovely accompaniment to lunch or dinner.Today’s inspiration comes from a Thich Nhat Hanh quote:“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”On days that feel rough or difficult, I don’t feel like smiling. But I make an effort to smile anyway – because I can breathe, and I am alive, and I have enough food to eat and clean water to drink and people to love.Remembering to smile, even if it’s a fake smile to myself, does surprisingly help!Wishing you lots of smiles and joy in your day today.
- 1 bunch beets (red or golden)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp dill or oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dry)
- 2 Tbsp roasted cashews or pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, boil the beets in water for about 20 minutes until you can stick a fork through them easily, then pull them out of the hot water. Run them under cold water to remove the skin, which should rub off easily.
- Using the same pot of hot water, chop up the greens into bite-sized pieces and boil for about 3 minutes until they’re just tender, then drain in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Squeeze the cooled greens with your hands to get rid of the excess water.
- Chop up the beets and add to the greens in a bowl. Mix all the dressing ingredients together, add the cashews/pumpkin seeds, and toss it all together with the beets and greens. Enjoy!
Did you make this? Please let me know by tagging @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Happy cooking, and lots of love! ❤️🤗🙏
6 thoughts on “Beets and Greens Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)”
LinkedIn comment from Chef Rene’: Looks amazing!
@Chef Rene’ Thank you so much! 😁
Facebook comment from Sharon: Looks so healthy and delicious. Great video!
@Sharon Thanks! 🙂
Nourishing and refreshing! 🙂
Pingback: 9 Plant-Based Recipes for When You’re Feeling Adventurous – Sustainable Living Dojo