Japanese Cucumber Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)
This is a delicately crunchy, deliciously tangy salad with Japanese-inspired flavors. I'm normally not a fan of cucumbers, but when they're so thinly sliced and lovingly dressed, I will happily eat them anytime! It's a lovely side for a tofu dish or a soba noodle salad, or you could eat it as a refreshing afternoon snack.Today's inspiration comes from Sister Chan Duc at Plum Village, who says: "Hope is not in the future. Hope is in the here and now."By really being in the present moment and enjoying our lives fully, we also take care of everyone around us and ensure the brightest future for ourselves and our planet. Start with peace and love in your own heart, and there will be more peace and love in the world.I hope you can plant and water some seeds of joy in yourself today. Do more of what makes you happy!
- Mandolin, if you have one
- 1 large or 6 small cucumbers
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3-4 green onions
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- A good sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, measure out the salt. Thinly slice the cucumbers using a mandolin or sharp knife, then as you're cutting them, toss the slices in with the salt so they start to soften while you cut the rest.
- Once the cucumbers are all sliced and tossed in the salt, they should start to release water. After a few minutes, drain the water and briefly rinse the cucumbers so they're not too salty.
- Add the green onions, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and coconut sugar (if using), and mix well to coat the cucumbers. Let it sit for a few more minutes if you have time, since it will give the cucumbers a really nice, classic, soft-yet-crunchy texture.
- Serve your Japanese cucumber salad sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy! ❤️
Did you make this? Tag @maitricooks on Instagram and leave a rating in the comments below. Lots of love! ❤️🤗🙏
3 thoughts on “Japanese Cucumber Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)”
Instagram comment from @nina.h.carmichael: Look delicious 🤤
@nina.h.carmichael Thanks for the inspiration! 😍