Moroccan Chick’n Couscous (plant-based)
What happens when you marry couscous, or little balls of pasta, with oranges, lemons, cumin-spiced Moroccan chicken, and a bright array of vegetables? Kind of a party in your mouth. My kids’ reaction was, “Wow! My tongue is so confused. Can I have some more?” I hope your family enjoys this healthy and tasty creation too. Feel free to improvise with whatever veggies you have on hand.Today we're trying out something new on the blog – adding a video to the recipe! It was really fun to put together and I hope you like it. 🙂
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 340g box Israeli-style couscous
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion or leek, chopped
- 1 255g bag plant-based chick'n tenders, cooked according to package directions
- 1-2 cups cucumber or zucchini, chopped
- 1-2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1-2 cups green beans or brussels sprouts, chopped
- ¼ cup chives or green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, squeezed lemon, cumin, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- In a medium pot, bring the water to a boil and then add the vegan butter, couscous, raisins, and stir. Bring back to a boil and turn the heat off, leaving the pot covered on the burner to soak in the water. After 10 minutes it should be ready to fluff with a fork.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion on medium-high heat until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the zucchini, chopped bell pepper and brussels sprouts or green beans, and cook another 5 minutes, then add the chopped cooked chick'n and mix it in.
- In a large bowl or pot, gently mix the fluffed couscous blend, chicken and veggie stirfry, cucumber (if using) and sauce all together until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle the chives over the top. Serve on a large platter or in individual bowls. It makes great leftovers too!
Did you make this? Please let me know by tagging @maitricooks on Instagram and leave any feedback on this recipe in the comments below. Happy cooking, and lots of love!
4 thoughts on “Moroccan Chick’n Couscous (plant-based)”
Facebook comment from Feb: 💛
Instagram comment from Nina: Delicious
Kid favorite! 🙂
Pingback: 9 Nutritionally-Balanced Recipes to Keep You Happy and Healthy – Sustainable Living Dojo