Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
- 2 Tbsp olive oiil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup fruit-sweetened apricot jam
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chick peas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped finely
- Handful basil leaves, torn up
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 5 minutes to begin to soften the onion.
- Next, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix well and stir for another 5 minutes to release all the flavor from the spices as they warm up.
- Then add the chopped potatoes, tomatoes, jam, broth, and chick peas / garbanzo beans. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Finally, add in the kale and lime juice, and simmer for 5 more minutes to wilt the kale.
- Taste for seasonings. Adjust with salt/pepper/lemon juice/apricot jam if needed to make it taste exactly how you want it to taste in this moment.
- Serve your Moroccan vegetable tagine hot, garnish with the torn basil leaves, and enjoy your bowl of happiness.