Balsamic Mirin Tempeh
- 1 8 oz package plain tempeh
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 leaves basil, chopped up
Marinate the tempeh
- Rinse and pat the tempeh dry, then break it up into 3 chunks and put it in a coverable Pyrex dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients to make the marinade, then pour it over the tempeh.
- Turn the tempeh over a couple of times to coat it, then cover and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Cook the tempeh
- In the morning, turn the tempeh over again.
- When you’re about an hour away from lunch/dinner, take the tempeh dish out of the fridge and put it on the stove on medium low, keeping it covered. The marinade will start to bubble and reduce.
- Remove the lid to turn the tempeh over every 10 minutes or so, until the liquid is mostly dry and the tempeh smells amazing.
Serve and enjoy
- In a small dish, mix the sandwich sauce ingredients together to serve with the tempeh, if desired.
- Serve the tempeh hot on dutch crunch rolls with tomato, kale, avocado, and the sandwich sauce. Or eat it as a side dish to any quinoa or rice dish. So good! ❤️