Every Christmas when I was a kid, I would help my mom make stuffed mushrooms. When they’re freshly baked, the soft juicy mushroom blends with the crunchy cheesy topping to make a party in your mouth. Here’s a vegan version we made this year for our holiday festivities.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, which is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and yours.
Ingredients ($14 for about 50 mushrooms)
2 pounds button mushrooms, with stems – $10
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.50
4 cloves garlic, minced – $0.15
2 tsp oregano – $0.56
1-2 cups breadcrumbs – free from leftover bread ground up in the blender
1 cup vegan mozzarella – $2.49
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
1. Wash the mushrooms and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently pop out the stems to leave a nice little bowl in the middle of the mushroom cap for the stuffing to fit. Then chop up the stems into little pieces.
2. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the garlic and oregano for about 2 minutes until the garlic starts to turn brown. Add in the chopped mushroom stems, salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Cook the mushroom stems with garlic, stirring occasionally, until all the water has come out of the mushroom stems and the mixture is fairly dry. This could take 5-10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and vegan mozzarella together. Add in the mushroom stem mixture while it’s still hot so that the “cheeze” can start to melt. Stir the mushroom stems thoroughly into the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Using a small spoon, scoop up some stuffing mixture and press it into each mushroom cap. Stuff as much as you can into each one without breaking the mushroom.
5. Bake all the mushrooms at 375F for 20 minutes. They should come out lovely and crispy on top with a soft, cooked mushroom base. Enjoy your vegan stuffed mushrooms hot from the oven! ❤️🤗
If you tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please post to Instagram and tag @maitricooks, or leave a comment below.
Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!