These beet burgers taste like you’re dining at a fancy bistro, which isn’t exactly possible in many quarantined cities right now. I chopped up the beet greens to throw into the mix as well, so it’s really a complete meal in one rose-colored package. Many thanks to Isa for inspiration.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, which is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and yours.
Ingredients ($10 for 12 burgers)
3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice – $1.07
2 cups cooked brown lentils – $0.92
2 cups grated beets – $1.99
1 cup breadcrumbs – free from leftover bread
2 tsp onion powder – $0.56
2 tsp garlic powder – $0.56
4 tbsp almond butter – $1.16
1 tsp thyme – $0.28
2 tsp mustard – $0.10
1 bunch beet greens, chopped – included in beet price above
1 tsp salt – $0.05
Olive oil for cooking – $0.50
Burger buns – $2.50
Burger toppings and condiments to taste
Directions for Beet Burgers
1. In a food processor, blend together the rice, lentils, and grated beets until they’re about half-processed but still a bit chunky. Stir in the rest of the burger ingredients and chill the mixture in the fridge for 1/2 an hour to thicken it up a bit.
2. Use your hands to shape the burger patties. Each burger will take about 1/3 cup of mixture.
Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Cook the beet burgers for about 12 minutes total, flipping them over once or twice until they’re as browned as you like.
Serve hot on freshly made burger buns with fruit or salad on the side, and any fixings you like on top. Enjoy your culinary excursion to a bistro right from your own house! ❤️🤗
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 17/18
If any of you amazing lovelies tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!