This is a quick, easy, yummy dinner to throw together. You toss some cashews and cheesy sauce ingredients into a blender, boil the pasta and broccoli in the same pot, and then mix it all together. Plant-based mac & cheese is a new favorite at our house! It’s also comforting for people who used to eat dairy. Thanks to Isa for inspiration.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, which is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and yours.
Ingredients ($9 for a large pot)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours or overnight – $2.00
1 cup vegetable broth – $0.50
1/4 cup nutritional yeast – $0.40
1/4 tsp turmeric – $0.07
1 tbsp lemon juice – $0.10
1/4 tsp paprika – $0.07
1 tsp garlic powder – $0.28
3/4 tsp salt – $0.04
1 pound curly pasta (or your favorite shape) – $2.99
1 bunch broccoli or baby broccoli, chopped – $2.79
Directions for Plant-Based Mac & Cheese
1. In a blender, measure out the soaked cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, turmeric, lemon juice, paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until the sauce is very smooth.
In a large pot, bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add in the pasta and broccoli. Cook for about 10 minutes or according to package directions, then drain the pasta/broccoli and return to the pot.
Pour the blender sauce onto the hot pasta.
2. Stir it all together in the pot and serve immediately, topped with plant-based parmesan cheese if you like. Enjoy your bowl of plant-based mac & cheese, so easy and filled with love!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 17/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!