Sometimes you just want a creamy, comforting soup to soothe your spirit. This split pea potato soup hits the spot and happens to be plant-based too for extra happiness. Hope you enjoy it when you need a warm, loving hug!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($6 for a large pot)
1 tbsp olive oil – $0.10
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
4 cloves garlic, chopped – $0.15
1 zucchini, chopped – $0.47
2 tsp rosemary – $0.56
1/2 tsp sage – $0.14
1/2 cup bourbon – $2.40
1 1/2 cups green split peas – $0.99
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped – $0.75
6 1/2 cups water – free (or you could use vegetable broth)
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Split Pea Potato Soup
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes to start to soften the onion, then add in the zucchini, garlic, rosemary, and sage. Cook for another couple of minutes, stirring often.
Add the bourbon and mix well, making sure to scrape any onion bits off the bottom of the pan. Let the alcohol burn off for about 3-4 minutes. Then add in the split peas, potatoes, and water, with about 1 tsp of salt to start.
Bring to a boil, then cover the pot, turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 30 minutes until the potatoes and split peas are soft and tender.
2. Pour the soup into a blender in batches, and return it to a different pot to simmer and stay warm. Puree it until it’s nice and smooth, but a few chunks are ok too if you like the texture. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm and get cozy.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 18/18
If any of you lovely readers tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!