Graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate, all melted together over a campfire. It’s a classic Girl Scout recipe, but you don’t need to be camping to enjoy the gooey and crunchy sweetness. Here’s how to make oven s’mores under a low broil in your own kitchen. Yay!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2 for 3 large s’mores)
6 graham crackers – $0.83
6 large marshmallows – $0.37
1 cup chocolate chips – $1.00
Directions for Oven S’mores
1. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out 6 graham crackers. Split each marshmallow in half and arrange 4 halves on each of 3 crackers. Split the chocolate chips evenly over the other 3 crackers.
2. Put the baking sheet in the oven set to a low broil. Turn on the oven light and keep a close eye on the marshmallows – pull them out of the oven when the marshmallows get puffy and a tiny bit golden. It should only take 2-3 minutes. The chocolate chips will be glisten-y and soft too.
Carefully pick up the marshmallow cracker and flip it over on top of the chocolate cracker to make a gooey sandwich. Enjoy your oven s’mores hot and fresh, with plenty of napkins!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = 1-3 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 14/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!