Here are some kid-friendly pineapple-coconut-strawberry pina colada smoothies guaranteed to put a smile in your day. Adults can always add some rum to make it more like the real thing if you like. It’s just like a day at the beach. Well, almost. Aloha!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total for 2 smoothies)
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks – $1.66
4 pitted dates – $0.83
1 cup coconut milk – $1.49
3 fresh strawberries, plus some for decoration – $1.00
Directions for Pina Colada Smoothies
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until mostly smooth, then serve in fancy glasses with strawberries over the side of the glass. Enjoy your pina colada smoothies in your most tropical state of mind.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!