With the ongoing reality of social distancing, we’ve been creating experiences at home that mimic what we used to do in the outside world. Megan wanted some waffle bowls recently, so we found a way to make them in the oven without even needing to have a waffle maker! This recipe was inspired by Taste of Home.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3 total)
3 eggs – $0.84
3/4 cup brown sugar – $0.39
1/2 cup melted margarine – $1.24
2 tsp vanilla – $0.40
1 1/2 cups flour – $0.24
2 tsp baking powder – $0.03
Directions for Waffle Bowls
1. Make the batter: whisk the eggs and brown sugar together in a medium bowl, then add the melted margarine and vanilla and mix well. Mix together the flour and baking powder separately and gradually stir it into the egg mixture until you get a nice smooth batter.
2. Bake the waffle bowls: draw two large circles on a parchment-lined baking sheet, each about 7″ across. Spread a thin layer of batter over each circle and bake at 400F for 4 minutes. The edges will start to brown. Remove from the baking sheet with a flapjack or spatula, and quickly place into a pre-greased bowl. Gently press it into the bowl and hold it down with a smaller bowl so it cools into the right shape. Repeat with the remaining batter.
3. You can get creative with the shapes and containers you use as molds. Once they’re cool, remove them from their molds and you have tasty bowls to use for ice cream or yogurt with fruit. Here are the bowls we made below. Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the freezer until you need them.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 14/18
If any of you amazing cooks tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!