My husband Tim whipped these avocado toast triangles up the other day to feed three hungry kids, alongside a salad I was putting together. If you have a nice ripe avocado lying around, it’s really the easiest fancy lunch, and fun to eat too.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2 total)
1 ripe avocado, mashed – $1.29
1/2 tsp garlic powder – $0.14
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices of bread – $ 0.50
Directions for Avocado Toast Triangles
1. Mash up the avocado and mix with the garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Spread 1/4 of the avocado mixture on each slice of bread, then cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles by making 2 diagonal cuts with a sharp knife.
3. Arrange the triangles on a plate and serve up your avocado toast immediately to hungry children. 🙂
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you amazing cooks tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!