Sticky date pudding was my favorite new taste sensation from visiting Australia. It’s an amazingly gooey dessert infused with dates and caramel. Think of something a bit like a British sticky toffee pudding (warm sponge cake drenched in butterscotch sauce) but with dates added. Hope you enjoy it!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total)
1 cup chopped pitted dates – $2.00
1 tsp baking soda – $0.01
1 1/2 cups boiling water – free
1/2 cup brown sugar – $0.26
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp margarine – $1.09
1 egg – $0.29
1 1/2 tsp vanilla – $0.30
2 cups flour – $0.32
1 tsp baking powder – $0.01
1 cup brown sugar – $0.52
1/4 cup soy milk – $0.09
Directions for Sticky Date Pudding
1. Combine dates, baking soda and boiling water. Let stand for at least 15 minutes to soften up the dates.
2. Cream together 1/2 cup brown sugar with 1/3 cup margarine. Mix in the egg and vanilla, then the flour and baking powder. Add the date mixture and mix until combined.
3. Pour into a 9″ round or 5×8″ rectangle pan. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes until golden brown.
While it’s baking, make the sauce: heat the 1 cup brown sugar, soy milk, and 1 tbsp margarine in a small pot on medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Let it bubble for 1 minute, then remove from heat and set aside.
When the pudding comes out of the oven, poke several holes in it and pour all the sauce over the whole thing, letting it soak into the pudding.
Serve your sticky date pudding warm. It also freezes well for reheating on another day. We like to top the leftovers with peanut butter and blueberries!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 14/18
If any of you lovely readers tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!