If you’re looking for a warm, comforting lunch, how about a creamy bowl of mashed potatoes and broccoli topped with your favorite cheese or nutritional yeast? Our whole family gobbled these broccoli mashed potatoes up on one of our coronavirus quarantine home learning days.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($7 total)
6 yukon gold potatoes, quartered – $1.08
1 head of broccoli, chopped up – $2.69
4 slices prosciutto or ham, chopped up (optional) – $2.00
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.20
1/4 cup grated cheese or nutritional yeast – $1.25
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
1. Prepare your ingredients: chop and boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water. After about 10-15 minutes, when they’re starting to get tender, add the broccoli to the pot and continue to boil for 5 more minutes or until broccoli gets bright green and slightly tender. Chop up the prosciutto or ham, if using.
2. Drain most of the water from the potato and broccoli pot, but save some of it (about 1 cup) for mashing in with the vegetables. Transfer the potatoes, broccoli, and water to a large bowl and add the olive oil, and salt and pepper. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher or an electric beater. The broccoli won’t completely mash but it’s nice to have some bigger pieces still intact. Stir in the optional meat, if using.
3. Scoop into bowls and serve hot, as is or topped with your favorite cheese or nutritional yeast. If there are any leftovers, they will keep well in a container in the fridge for a few days.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 17
Experiment Outcome: This recipe gets added to our Family Favorites! 🙂
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!