We always used to buy these until we realized how easy it is to whip up homemade tortillas, hot from the griddle. You can use these to make burritos, quesadillas, or tortilla chips. The hint of coconut oil makes them extra flavorful, but you could use butter or canola oil if you prefer.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2.50 for 8 tortillas)
2 1/2 cups flour – $0.40
1 tsp baking powder – $0.02
1/2 tsp salt – $0.03
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter or canola oil – $2.20
1 cup hot water – free
Directions for Homemade Tortillas
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together well. Add the coconut oil and work it into the flour with your fingers until it has the texture of fine crumbs. Next, add the hot water and mix until it comes together into a dough.
Briefly knead it into a ball, adding a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cut the dough into 8 pieces and shape gently into balls. Cover and let them rest for half an hour.
2. On a lightly floured board, roll out each ball of dough until it’s a round tortilla shape about 8″ across. Heat a large pan to medium-high heat, then add the tortilla to the pan.
Give it a little shake to make sure it’s not stuck to the pan, then let it cook for 30-60 seconds. Flip it over with a spatula and let it cook on the other side for the same amount of time, until both sides have little brown marks on them.
3. Store the cooked tortillas on a plate covered in a tea towel to keep them warm and moist, then serve when they’re all cooked. Fill with burrito fillings, or cheese for a quesadilla, or enjoy your homemade tortillas dipped in guacamole or salsa. Buen provecho!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely (refined flour)
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!