My daughter made these for fun last weekend – s’mores cupcakes with mini emoji s’mores on top. The vegan chocolate cupcakes have a graham cracker base. The super cute emoji cupcakes are almost too adorable to eat! We were inspired by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Rachel Fong for today’s treat.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($8.50 total for 12 cupcakes + lots of extra fudge sauce)
5 graham crackers, crushed – $0.83
1 tbsp sugar – $0.06
2 1/2 tbsp margarine, melted – $0.39
1 cup plain soy milk – $0.37
1 tsp apple cider vinegar – $0.11
3/4 cup sugar – $0.66
1/3 cup canola oil – $0.22
1 1/2 tsp vanilla – $0.30
1 cup flour – $0.16
1/3 cup cocoa – $0.33
3/4 tsp baking soda – $0.01
1/2 tsp baking powder – $0.01
1/4 tsp salt – $0.01
1 cup mini marshmallows – $0.52
3 graham crackers, cut into 2×2″ pieces – $0.55
12 large marshmallows – $0.74
Chocolate fudge sauce, mostly chilled but soft enough to pipe – $3.25
Directions for Double S’mores Emoji Cupcakes
1. Make the graham crust: in a small bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted margarine. Divide evenly into 12 muffin cups, and press with your fingers to flatten each clump into an even disk at the bottom of each muffin wrapper.
Bake at 350F for 5 minutes, then cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
2. Make the cupcakes: in a medium bowl, whisk the soy milk and vinegar, and let it sit for 3 minutes to curdle. Then add the sugar, oil, and vanilla, and whisk until frothy. In another medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour the dry into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined, but don’t overmix. It will have a few small lumps.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups over the cooked graham cracker crusts, and bake at 350F for 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before decorating.
3. Decorate! Take the large marshmallows and use some fudge sauce to glue the top and bottom graham cracker bits to it, leaving the flat face exposed for decorating. Draw any kind of face or emoji or hair you like with a piping bag and thin tip. You could also draw with edible markers if piping isn’t your thing.
Break the mini marshmallows in half and arrange over the top of the cupcakes, then put under a low broil in the oven for 30-60 seconds, or until they puff up and just start to turn golden. Watch carefully or they will burn quickly!
Use a bit more fudge sauce to glue each s’mores face to the top of a marshmallow-topped cupcake. Put in the fridge for a few minutes to set, then enjoy your sweet emoji cupcakes creations!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!