We were inspired to make this after watching the documentary Forks over Knives about the benefits of plant-based eating. Some of us liked the taste of this green smoothie better than others (I’m not a huge avocado fan), but we definitely felt energetic afterwards!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3.50 total for 3 small servings)
1 banana – $0.19
1/4 avocado – $0.32
1 cup frozen mixed berries – $1.25
1/2 cup soy milk – $0.19
Pinch of ginger (optional)
5-6 kale leaves, destemmed – $0.99
3 inch piece of cucumber – $0.23
1/2 tsp vanilla – $0.10
1 tbsp maple syrup – $0.24
Directions for Very Green Smoothie
1. Chop up and add all the ingredients to your blender.
2. Blend it up! We split this green smoothie into 3 cups to share.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 1 = inedible for some of us!
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 14/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!