These quick breakfast scones are one of my husband’s specialties to whip up for us on the weekend. They are crisp on the outside and so soft inside, pulling apart easily into two halves that can be loaded up with fruit and cream. I like to break them apart and dip each piece lovingly in warm milk before popping it into my mouth. Delicious!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total for 12 large scones)
1 1/2 cups white flour – $0.24
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour – $0.26
1/2 cup sugar – $0.44
5 tsp baking powder – $0.08
1/2 tsp salt – $0.03
3/4 cup butter or margarine, cold and cut into chunks – $1.86
1 cup raisins – $1.00
1 egg – $0.29
1 cup soy milk – $0.38
Directions for Quick Breakfast Scones
1. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Using a knife, cut the butter into the flour until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add the raisins too, to coat them in the flour so they don’t sink to the bottom of the scones.
2. In a small bowl, mix the egg and milks together, then add to the flour mix and stir just until combined into a nice dough – not too sticky, not too dry. Knead it for about a minute to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Roll out the dough to about 1/2″ thick. Use a large glass or cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles, or if you prefer wedges, use a knife to divide up the dough into any shape you like for the scones.
Put on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
Serve your quick breakfast scones warm with berries and whipped cream, nutella, honey, or eat them straight up. To reheat any leftover scones, pop them in the oven at 350F for 3-5 minutes.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 17/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!