If you’ve watched the Great British Baking Show, Moroccan pie is one of the technical challenges the bakers were assigned. You start with a fragrant mix of squash, spinach, garbanzo beans (chick peas in Canada), nuts, cranberries, and lots of spices. Then you cover it in filo or puff pastry.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($17 total)
4 tbsp + 2 tbsp olive oil – $0.60
1 tsp each cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger – $1.12
1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed – $1.29
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
1 cup roasted almonds – $1.26
1 cup dried cranberries – $1.92
2 tbsp honey – $0.28
1 bag baby spinach – $1.99
1 can garbanzo beans – $0.99
1 pack puff pastry – $3.99
1 egg – $0.29
2 cups Greek yogurt for serving – $2.50
Directions for Moroccan Pie
1. In a 9×13 baking dish, mix the squash, 4 tbsp olive oil, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and salt to taste. Toss to coat the squash all over with the topping. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes to soften and roast the squash.
2. In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown. Then add the ginger, almonds, cranberries, honey, spinach, and garbanzo beans, stirring between each addition. Cook and stir until the spinach gets soft, then mix into the baked squash.
Spread evenly in the 9×13 baking pan.
3. Cut the puff pastry into strips and layer over top of the vegetables. Brush the top with the egg, then bake for 30-35 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve your Moroccan pie with scoops of Greek yogurt on the side.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 1 = inedible (pastry was too thick and kids didn’t love the spices)
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 13/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!