What to do with all that leftover chicken or turkey from a whole roast? Curried chicken salad is super easy and one of my favorite ways to stretch out leftovers. It’s just chicken, mayo, cranberries, nuts, and curry powder. And everyone gobbles it up!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($4 total)
Leftover roast chicken – free
1 cup mayonnaise – $1.00
3 tbsp curry powder – $2.10
1/2 cup cranberries – $0.50
1/2 cup roasted cashews or almonds – $1.00
Any other garnishes you like (green onions, celery, chutney)
Directions for Curried Chicken Salad
1. Put your leftover chicken pieces into a large bowl, and add all the other ingredients.
2. Mix well until thoroughly combined, and taste for salt/pepper/curry powder. Adjust as needed.
3. Serve in a sandwich, as a snack, or with leftover vegetables from the roast dinner.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 14/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!