Everyone goes back for seconds on this dish! Pasta amatriciana is covered in a rich tomato sauce, with chopped up bits of garlic, pepperoni, and garbanzo beans, all topped with pecorino romano cheese. Super easy and quick to make too. It’s a great weeknight dinner to whip up.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($9 total)
1 lb pasta (rigatoni, gemelli, fusilli, etc) – $2.99
1 tbsp salt – $0.13
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.20
4 cloves garlic, minced – $0.15
1 tsp oregano – $0.28
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can crushed tomatoes with basil – $1.59
1 can garbanzo beans – $0.99
1/2 pack (about 20 slices) pepperoni, chopped – $1.50
1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese – $1.00
Directions for Pasta Amatriciana
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to turn golden, then mix in the oregano as well as salt and pepper to taste. Blend the can of crushed tomatoes in the blender for extra smoothness, then add to the pan. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium low, add the garbanzo beans and pepperoni, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tbsp salt. Dump the package of dry pasta into the boiling water and cook according to package directions (usually about 10 minutes). Drain the pasta, return to the pot and add a scoop of the sauce. Stir to mix so the pasta doesn’t all stick to itself.
3. Serve as two pots: one with the pasta and one with the sauce, so everyone can give themselves as much pasta and sauce as they like. Top with pecorino romano cheese and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy while it’s hot!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 17/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!