For a special celebration, you might like to make this chocolate cream pie. It has an Oreo cookie base, homemade chocolate pudding filling, and freshly whipped cream on top. It’s very rich, so I find it hard to get through a whole slice. But such a tasty treat!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($12 total)
2 cups Oreo or Joe-Joe’s cookie crumbs, crushed with the cream filling too – $1.92
5 tbsp + 2 tbsp butter – $1.09
1 cup sugar – $0.88
1/4 cup cornstarch – $0.40
1/3 cup cocoa – $0.33
3 cups half-and-half – $4.47
6 egg yolks (you can use the whites in an omelet or meringue) – $1.75
2 tsp vanilla – $0.40
1 cup dark chocolate chunks – $1.00
2 cups whipping cream – $2.98
1/2 cup powdered sugar – $0.44
1. Mix the crushed cookie crumbs with 5 tbsp of melted butter, then press into a 9″ round pan to form a nice solid crust. Bake at 350F for 6 minutes and cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa. Gradually whisk in the half-and-half, then the egg yolks, until the mixture is smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a medium pot and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until it thickens and starts to bubble. Turn the heat down to low and keep cooking and stirring for one more minute, then remove from heat. Mix in the 2 tbsp of butter, chocolate chunks and vanilla, then pour into the pie crust. Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight to firm it up.
3. The next day, whip the whipping cream and powdered sugar in a cold metal bowl until stiff peaks form and you can scoop the cream onto the pie. Decorate with grated chocolate if desired.
Cut small slices and enjoy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 1 = 3+ hours
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 13/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!