If you have leftover rice, dilled rice and beans is the quickest, one-step dinner in the world. It’s also very comforting and nourishing, and great to stretch your grocery budget dollars a little bit farther. We like to have it with some veggies on the side, either a salad or just some peas and corn for the kids. Thanks to Cynthia for inspiration.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($4.50 total)
4 cups cooked rice – $0.46
2 cans red kidney beans – $1.98
4 tbsp olive oil – $0.40
3 tbsp rice vinegar – $0.50
1 tbsp dill – $0.70
1 tsp oregano – $0.28
Directions for Dilled Rice and Beans
1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients. That’s it! 🙂 Eat at room temperature or warmed up. Also good as leftovers.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 17/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!