We’ve tried a lot of pancake recipe variations, and these fluffy apple pancakes are definitely the favorite. You get moistness from the apples, heartiness from the whole wheat, and they’re so fluffy they soak up as much maple syrup as you want to put on them. Great for a Saturday morning (with leftovers on Sunday morning!)
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($4 total) – makes about 16 pancakes
1 cup organic whole milk or soy milk – $0.40
2 tbsp white vinegar – $0.02
2 cups white whole wheat flour (or 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat) – $0.36
4 tbsp brown sugar – $1.46
2 tsp baking powder – $0.03
1 tsp baking soda – $0.02
1 tsp salt – $0.05
2 eggs – $0.58
3 tbsp butter, melted, plus some for griddle – $0.55
2 small apples, grated – $0.60
Directions for Fluffy Apple Pancakes
1. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the milk and vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle. Meanwhile, grate the apples.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine well.
Add the eggs, melted butter, curdled milk and grated apples into the dry ingredients, and give it a good whisk until the batter is fairly think and smooth, with no big lumps.
3. Heat the griddle to 350F. When it’s hot, rub some butter over it and scoop dollops of batter onto the griddle. Wait until the top is bubble and the edges are dry, then flip them over with a flapjack and cook on the other side (usually takes less time). Keep the first batch warm and covered in the oven while you’re cooking the rest.
Serve with real Canadian maple syrup!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!