Cassoulet is a warm, comforting, sausage and bean casserole from the south of France. I had a craving for it on a sweltering hot day, so I invented a stovetop version rather than firing up the oven and heating up the house. It’s amazing served with your favorite freshly baked biscuits or crusty bread.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($10 total)
3/4 lb chicken breakfast sausage – $3.49
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.20
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
4 cloves garlic, chopped – $0.15
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped – $0.90
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce – $0.10
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil – $1.59
2 15.5 oz cans cannellini beans – $1.58
2 tbsp sugar – $0.11
1 small lemon – $0.20
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped – $0.90
Directions for Cassoulet
1. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the sausages. Cook for 2-3 minutes to brown them, then turn them over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan.
2. Add the onion to the sausage pan and cook 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and chopped sage and cook for 3-5 minutes more, until garlic begins to turn golden.
Blend the crushed tomatoes in a blender for extra smoothness, then add to the onion and garlic pan along with the Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and cannellini beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Chop the sausages into pieces and add back to the pan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until nicely bubbly and combined. Squeeze fresh lemon over top and taste for final salt/pepper adjustments. Serve hot with fresh biscuits or crusty bread and any side vegetables you like.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!