We made strawberry jam this year from our own hand-picked strawberries. With 8 jars in the freezer, I was looking for some delicious and creative ways to use it up. This strawberry pastry roll is fun for kids to help with and super tasty too.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total)
2 cups flour – $0.32
2 tbsp sugar – $0.11
2 tsp baking powder – $0.03
10 tbsp butter, frozen and grated – $1.55
2/3 cup ice cold water – free
1 cup strawberry jam (we used our homemade jam but store-bought works too) – $2.55
1 egg, beaten – $0.31
Directions for Strawberry Pastry Roll
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder, then grate in the frozen butter and gently toss together. Make sure the butter stays cold – feel free to put the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes if it gets too soft.
Mix in the ice cold water and combine to form a ball of dough. If it doesn’t come together into a ball, add 1 tbsp at a time of water until it does. Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface, without melting the butter.
2. Roll the dough out to a 9×13 rectangle, then spread some jam over the surface. If you have extra jam, it can be used as a sauce for serving the pastry roll. Make sure to leave a small border around the edges. Roll the pastry towards you into a nice tight spiral from the long end, then pinch both ends so the jam doesn’t leak out. Put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down, and brush all over with the beaten egg.
3. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, or until pastry is puffy and golden. Cool briefly before slicing it up and serving with the strawberry jam sauce. Enjoy with ice cream, whipped cream, fudge sauce, or on its own.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 13/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!