I eat this for lunch most days. It’s easy to throw together, tastes great, and I know it has a lot of the nutrients my body needs.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2.50 total)
1/4 head lettuce, washed – $0.32
1 tsp olive oil – $0.04
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar to taste – $0.27-0.54
1/2 can sardines in water – $0.99
2 tbsp cashew pieces – $0.24
2 tbsp dried cranberries – $0.24
2 tsp ground flax seeds (I grind the seeds when I buy them and them keep them in the freezer for freshness) – $0.10
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a nice big salad bowl, break up the lettuce.
2. Add all the other ingredients, and toss with two forks until everything is evenly distributed.
3. Enjoy! Tastes even better if you have a spot to eat outside or with a view of nature.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 16/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!