Here are our most-cooked recipes that you might like to try, and our favorite breads we make at home.
We score each food according to several measures for sustainability:
- financial cost – see our 9 most budget-friendly recipes
- family taste – see our 9 most delicious family-friendly recipes
- environmental impact – see our top 9 environmentally-friendly plant-based recipes
- nutritional value – see our 9 most nutritionally balanced recipes
- time to prepare – see our 9 quickest prep recipes
- cook once, eat many times – see our 9 top recipes with leftovers
Search for your favorite food above, or check out the list and links to each recipe below. Enjoy!
Most Recent 100 Recipes…
- Warming Chai Milk Tea (plant-based, gluten-free)Making myself a warm cup of chai milk tea feels like such a beautiful act of love and self-care. I hope it nourishes your body and soothes your emotions.
- Baked Lemon Tofu “Fish” Bites (plant-based, gluten-free)I’ve been making baked tofu for a while. This time, I tried finishing it a squeeze of lemon, and was surprised to discover that it tastes pretty close to fish, like a fish & chips kind of deal.
- Torta de Miel Negra (plant-based)If you were in Paraguay right now, you might come across a version of this not-overly-sweet cake made with molasses. It’s very moist, simple, and goes nicely with a scoop of ice cream or a smear of jam.
- Caribbean Roasted Cauliflower (plant-based, gluten-free)It’s winter in Canada, so I thought we could use a taste of the islands. This roasted cauliflower is smoky and delicious, paired lovingly with a herby, spicy dipping sauce.
- Spinach Mushroom Quiche (plant-based)A savory breakfast is a nice change around here, especially lovely for a Sunday brunch. This quiche with mushrooms, peppers, spinach, and feta cheese would be good any time of day though.
- My Fudgy Brownie Cookie Birthday Cake (plant-based)Layers of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, vegan mango mousse, fudge brownie, and chocolate buttercream. I couldn’t imagine a birthday cake more decadent and indulgent.
- Coffee Walnut Battenberg Cake (plant-based)This Battenberg cake pairs a moist vanilla sponge with a rich coffee and walnut sponge, arranges them in a checkerboard with buttercream, then surrounds the whole thing in smooth, sweet marzipan.
- Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread (plant-based)What’s the secret to the addictive Cheesecake Factory brown bread that they give you before your meal? Turns out it’s a mix of molasses and cocoa!
- Matcha Clementine Cupcakes (plant-based)These matcha clementine cupcakes are made with part almond flour, and decorated with clementine curd and chocolate buttercream. The combination is fantastic!
- Pistachio Raspberry Cupcakes (plant-based)I was curious to see what this flavor combination tastes like, so I made these pistachio raspberry cupcakes, adding a small brownie on top for a complementary third flavor.
- Cheezy Turnip Casserole (plant-based, gluten-free)With the holidays coming, I hope you enjoy this comforting turnip casserole, with a beautiful plant-based cheese sauce smothering it.
- Baked Tofu for Sandwiches (plant-based)Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? This baked tofu will rock any kind of bread you pair with it, from baguette to brioche to regular sliced bread.
- Chocolate Blueberry Tarts (plant-based)These chocolate blueberry tarts were a big hit. The sweetness of the chocolate and the freshness of the berries balance very nicely.
- Lemon Raisin Scones (plant-based)Take one of these lemon raisin scones, slice and fill it with fruit and cream or butter and jam, and you have a classic British teatime snack.
- Triple Threat Chocolate Brownie Surprise Cupcakes (plant-based)What’s not to like about a vegan chocolate brownie cupcake? For me, if it’s cake, it has to be chocolate. The more chocolate, the better.
- Lentil Sausage Rolls with Garden Herbs (plant-based)Rough puff is a quick and relatively easy method to create flaky layers of crispy pastry for vegan sausage rolls. I found it easier than I originally thought it would be to make all the layers – the key is to keep the dough cold and handle it as little as possible.
- Mini Chocolate Cream Pies (plant-based)These decadent chocolate cream pies are satisfyingly dark and creamy when you need a hit of chocolate, topped off with mounds of whipped plant-based cream.
- Fruit Tarts with Custard (plant-based)The kids have been begging for a fruit tart filled with custard and shiny berries on top for months. I just couldn’t figure out how to make it without milk and eggs, so I kept putting it off.
- Canadian Butter Tarts (plant-based, gluten-free option)It’s like a mini pecan pie but with raisins instead of pecans. We couldn’t find Canadian butter tarts in the US, so we made them ourselves.
- Zucchini Lemon Drizzle Cake (plant-based)It reminds me of drinking tea out of a fancy china teacup on a rainy afternoon in Scotland, with a fresh slice of lemon drizzle cake to sweeten the day.
- Miso Mushroom Pasties (plant-based)Mushroom pasties are flaky baked hand pies filled with a hearty mushroom filling. These ones have miso in them for an extra umami kick.
- Chick’n Leek and Potato Pie (plant-based)I adapted this chick’n, leek and potato pie to be vegan. These make great picnic snacks too if there are any leftovers from dinner.
- Strawberry Rhubarb or Apple Pluot Crumble (plant-based)My grandma’s favourite flavour combination was strawberry rhubarb, so this one is for her. It’s easy to put together for an elegant and delicious dessert!
- Blueberry Maple Grunt (plant-based, gluten-free)Blueberry grunt is a fun dessert or breakfast to make – it’s basically like a giant blueberry-upside down muffin that you make in a pan on the stove.
- Peach Blueberry Bread Pudding (plant-based)This peach blueberry bread pudding is a plant-based version that uses coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- Pesto-Feta Swirls (plant-based)Imagine a savoury treat, like a cinnamon roll, but filled with homemade pesto and feta. They smell and taste amazing!
- Sweet Samoan Coconut Buns (plant-based)Based on a Samoan recipe for pani popo, the buns have a lovely, sweet coconut glaze. These are the softest, sweetest pull-apart rolls you can bake. They will melt in your mouth.
- Chana Curry Buns (plant-based)These yeasted chana curry buns have a curry-scented dough and a filling of spiced chickpeas, coconut milk, raisins, and onions.
- Pizza Dough for Large or Mini Pizzas (plant-based)Imagine a pizza you might have at a self-care retreat on the coast of the Mediterranean – loaded with toppings on a nourishing, partly whole wheat crust.
- Blueberry Buns (plant-based)Every time I visit my parents in Toronto, it’s a must to stop by their local Jewish bakery and pick up some fresh blueberry buns. They’re packed with a thick blueberry sauce and not ridiculously sweet.
- Chocolate Babka (plant-based)If you’ve never tasted chocolate babka from a good Jewish bakery, it’s a bit like brioche swirled with a rich chocolate filling braided into the dough.
- Sticky Date Pudding (plant-based, gluten-free)Sticky date pudding was my favorite new taste sensation from visiting Australia. It’s an amazingly gooey dessert infused with dates and caramel.
- Crusty Fluffy Cob Loaf (plant-based)This crusty fluffy bread came out so tasty, our most particular eater asked for 4 helpings!
- Best Banana Bread (plant-based)This one is moist and scrumptious, and based on a breakfast I enjoyed at a retreat center once. It’s also a great way to use up leftover bananas. A freshly baked best banana bread never lasts long around here!
- Soft, Sweet Challah (plant-based)This soft, sweet challah is one of the best loaves of bread I’ve ever baked! It disappeared in no time into happy, hungry mouths.
- Chocolate Orange Profiteroles (plant-based)You really can’t go wrong with a classic chocolate orange flavor combination tucked inside a cream puff. It’s a mouthful of pure joy.
- Macarons with Lemon Curd (plant-based)These macarons with lemon curd taste like sunny lemon meringue pie bites without the crust!
- Amaretti, or Italian Wedding Cookies (plant-based)I created these vegan amaretti, or Italian wedding cookies, in honour of my grandmother. The are chewy and sweet and pair well with a good espresso.
- Zucchini and Potatoes with Beans and Greens (plant-based, gluten-free)A warm, soft, comforting mix of potatoes, zucchini, and beans, with some aromatic herbs and greens to round it out.
- Molasses Raisin Bread (plant-based)The raisins are kneaded into this sweet, enriched dough to make a soft, comforting breakfast or teatime raisin bread. This recipe can fill two loaf pans or one large round pan with a whole in the middle.
- Kachamak Corn Porridge (plant-based, gluten-free)Kachamak is a quick and comforting breakfast or side dish, inspired by a Bulgarian recipe. It’s a savory cornmeal porridge, a bit like American grits or Italian polenta.
- Scones with Fruit and Cream (plant-based)These quick scones are delicious to whip up for a weekend breakfast. They are crisp on the outside and so soft inside, pulling apart easily into two halves that can be loaded up with fruit and (plant-based) cream.
- Tourtière sans viande (plant-based)Here’s my vegan spin on Canadian tourtière, loved by all ages. It’s loaded with mushrooms, herbs, garden greens, and love.
- Mom’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (plant-based)I always have the ingredients for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies lying around the house. They’re chewy, warm, sweet cookies that can cheer anyone up!
- Chana Masala (plant-based, gluten-free)A simple, healing, and inexpensive meal to put together when you don’t know what to make for dinner. Chick peas, warming spices, any veggies you have that need eating up, and a side of rice.
- Mocha Almond Fudge Cake with Salted Caramel Praline (plant-based)This is the fanciest cake I’ve ever made – 6 layers of chocolate sponge with salted caramel almond praline and coffee buttercream fillings, an apricot glaze, topped with fondant and chocolate fudge ganache, and decorated with truffles, fondant leaves, and piped chocolate.
- African bean and tomato stew (plant-based, gluten-free)In Madagascar, this bean and tomato stew is called tsaramaso malagasy. It’s a simple, aromatic, and inexpensive meal to throw together.
- Really Good Dinner Rolls (plant-based)Hot and fresh from the oven, these dinner rolls bring me back to my Italian grandmother’s kitchen. The recipe is inspired by a Chilean bread called pan amasado.
- Cream of Asparagus Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)I love the bright green color and velvety texture of this soup. When asparagus is in season (late spring/early summer in Canada), a vegan cream of asparagus soup is a quick and healthy meal to throw together.
- Soppa tal-armla (plant-based)This Mediterranean soup will comfort you on even the most challenging of days. Chick peas, pasta shells, a basket of vegetables and spices, and a pinch of love will do the trick.
- Victoria Sandwich Cake (plant-based)A Victoria sandwich cake is a bit like an American strawberry shortcake – vanilla cake with strawberry jam and cream in the middle, dusted with icing sugar and fresh strawberries on top.
- Easy Caramel Strawberries (plant-based, gluten-free)It’s strawberry time here in Ontario, and the sweet little berries are rich and red and luscious. This recipe has only two ingredients and makes a gentle caramel sauce to coat your berries for a decadent snack.
- Tofu Scramble with Greens (plant-based, gluten-free)Tofu scramble is a super comforting, flexible, and nourishing meal that you can whip up in a few minutes at any time of day.
- Baked Papa Rellenas (plant-based)Imagine a handheld shepherd’s pie – chili-spiced (plant-based) meat and veggies, all wrapped up in a crisp coating of mashed potatoes.
- Chocolate Peach Cake with Fudgy Ganache (plant-based)Two chocolate peach cake layers separated with a dreamy cashew whipped cream, then covered in a chocolate coconut ganache.
- Spiced African Beans and Greens (plant-based, gluten-free)This delicious dinner of loso na madesu (spiced beans), rice, and hamli (spicy sauteed greens) is a joyful, nourishing taste of life in DRC and Ethiopia.
- Fasolada Bean Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)Fasolada tastes like eating lunch in a Greek grandmother’s kitchen. It’s fresh, hearty, and you can taste the love.
- Locro de Papa, or Baked Potato Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)The first thing I said when this soup touched my tongue was, “Wow, why haven’t I ever made this before?” It tastes like a loaded baked potato, but in a creamy velvety soup.
- Refried Beans (plant-based, gluten-free)Chili, lime, and fresh herbs bring the party to refried beans, which you can use in burritos, tacos, or enjoy on their own with some rice and veggies.
- Tofu Feta (plant-based, gluten-free)Once I realized how easy it is to make vegan cheese, I stopped paying ridiculous prices to buy it at the store. To make tofu feta, you just put 6 ingredients in your food processor or blender, blend it up, and chill it. So simple!
- Caramelized Walnuts (plant-based, gluten-free)Ooey, gooey, crunchy, and sweet. These caramelized walnuts are a delicious treat on their own or a fancy topping for any other dessert: cakes, ice cream, cookies, cupcakes.
- Bosnian Grah bean soup (plant-based, gluten-free)Grah is a rich, smoky stew filled with beans, veggies, and tender chunks of vegan meat or tofu. Healing comfort food at its best.
- Vegan Potstickers / Gyoza / Mandu Dumplings (plant-based)They’re fun to cook, steamed on one side and fried on the other side, then dipped in a sesame soy based sauce. All the kids went back for seconds of these vegan potstickers.
- Spinach Mashed Potatoes (plant-based, gluten-free)These are the most flavorful mashed potatoes I have ever eaten. Based on a recipe from Belgium for “stoemp,” the intense flavor comes from cooking up some onions and garlic first, then mashing them into the potatoes along with any other veggies you want to incorporate.
- Riz gras, or deconstructed stuffed peppers (plant-based)This vibrant African dinner tastes a bit like delicious stuffed peppers to me. The peppers are blended into the sauce instead of being left whole, and the rice, plant-based meat, other veggies and spices round out the meal.
- Sweet and Sour Orange Tofu (plant-based, gluten-free)When you can’t get out to a Chinese restaurant, or want a healthier alternative made fresh in your kitchen, try this sweet and sour orange tofu.
- Tomato Avocado Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)A fresh, delicious lunch inspired by the cuisine of Central America. Tomato avocado salad could be your lunch today!
- Maple Wheat Sandwich Bread (plant-based)This maple wheat bread is our everyday go-to bread – great for toast, sandwiches, snacking, or even breadcrumbs.
- Murabba el balah – Lebanese stuffed dates (plant-based, gluten-free)Dates are simmered in a cinnamon glaze, then stuffed with roasted almonds to create a gooey, crunchy treat that’s both satisfying and healthy.
- Avena caliente (plant-based, gluten-free)Creamy and comforting, like a cross between a really good soy latte and a delicious bowl of porridge. A Caribbean and Latin American specialty.
- Gallo pinto (plant-based, gluten-free)A completely nutritious and flavorful dinner that you could probably make with things you have in your fridge and pantry today: rice, beans, and veggies.
- Jani me fasule (plant-based, gluten-free)What a beautiful Albanian comfort soup. Jani me fasule lovingly blends white beans, fresh vegetables, and Mediterranean herbs.
- Lentil potato cashew curry (plant-based, gluten-free)I love the creaminess of blending cashews with rich curry spices. The red lentils dissolve to create a thick and lovely soup.
- Aush (plant-based chili-curry-pasta)Imagine chili, curry, and pasta all coming together in a rainbow of flavors. All my favorite plant-based comfort foods in one dish!
- Za’atar salad with tofu (plant-based, gluten-free)A bright, fresh salad to wake you up and liven up the rest of your day. Za’atar is a beautiful Middle Eastern spice that’s a mix of sesame and green herbs. It gives a bit of a roasted pesto flavor.
- Torta od oraha (plant-based)A super moist walnut cake layered with butterscotch pudding. This recipe is inspired by the kitchens of Serbia, but I adapted it to be vegan.
- Esau soup (plant-based, gluten-free)The ancient legend is that two brothers were arguing over something important (a wife, land, or riches), and one of them made this soup.
- Rumbledethumps (plant-based, gluten-free)This is a fun Scottish way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. You mix them with other veggies and bake them in the oven with (vegan) cheese.
- Estofado con papas (plant-based)This is a magical Guatemalan stew. You will be wrapped in a warm embrace of potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, beans, plant-based meat, and rich stew spices. Healthy comfort food at its best!
- Zucchini with almonds (plant-based, gluten-free)This is a quick and delicious side dish or a yummy snack on its own, inspired by an African recipe. It only takes three ingredients to deliver a party of flavor, plus salt and pepper if you like.
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (plant-based, gluten-free)If you’re looking for comfort food in Germany, you might come across cabbage rolls: a traditional dish of cabbage, (vegan) meat, rice, onions, and tomato.
- Easy Chocolate Mousse (plant-based, gluten-free)This decadent chocolate coconut pudding is dairy-free and has only two ingredients: coconut milk and chocolate chips. It’s satisfyingly rich and creamy when you need a hit of chocolate!
- All-Time Favorite Bran Muffins (plant-based)These bran muffins were almost always around on weekends when I was growing up. My mom would make a fresh batch on Saturday morning and we would snack on them. They’re a kid all-time favorite!
- Bangladesh Khichuri Stew (plant-based, gluten-free)Bangladesh Khichuri is a rice and lentil stew filled with healing vegetables and lovely spices. It’s a beautiful, warm bowl of comfort on a cold day, or anytime your spirit needs a hug.
- Aunt Petunia’s Mulligatawny Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)A very gentle, warming curry simmered with vegetables, lentils, coconut milk, and rice. You can use almost any veggies you have on hand.
- Orange Raisin Chelsea Buns (plant-based)Enjoy the packed fruit in these Chelsea buns, a British variation of cinnamon rolls. They make my mouth water and my heart melt.
- Chocobanana Squares (plant-based)I invented these moist chocolate banana squares as a way to use up extra bananas with a good dose of chocolate and some healthy oats.
- Baked Eggplant Parmigiana (plant-based, gluten-free)All the goodness and love of eggplant parmigiana without the greasy fried feeling, or the heavy dairy cheese, or the wheat.
- No-Bake Brownies with Ganache (plant-based, gluten-free)These fudgy raw plant-based brownies can be thrown together in 15 minutes and will be devoured in about the same amount of time if you don’t hide some of them for later!
- Sunny Mac & Cheese (plant-based, gluten-free)Paired with green beans or cauliflower, sunflower mac & cheese makes a completely delicious and nutritious dinner.
- Stamppot (plant-based, gluten-free)I learned about stamppot from an old Canadian cookbook, but it’s originally a Dutch recipe. You cook a vegetable like kale or savoy cabbage with a bunch of potatoes in a big pot, then add some (plant-based) sausage.
- Banana Treat Muffins (plant-based, gluten-free)Bananas and chocolate in a convenient portable (vegan) muffin cup. What could be better? Thanks to Megan for this recipe. I was skeptical about using 4 bananas for one dozen muffins, but it really makes them so moist. They’re definitely the best banana chocolate chip muffins I’ve ever tasted!
- Adasi Lentil Soup (plant-based, gluten-free)Adasi lentil soup is a comforting dish that mixes in some potato, onion, and sage for a lovely fall or winter dinner. I like to have it with some stir-fried greens on the side.
- Green Pea Risotto (plant-based, gluten-free)Instead of green eggs and ham (that’s another recipe to come for avocado scrambled eggs), how about green peas and ham risotto?
- Pasta e Fagioli with Kale (plant-based, gluten-free)There’s nothing like a bowl of good old-fashioned comfort food: beans, pasta, veggies, and a delicious sauce – otherwise known as pasta e fagioli.
- Baked Teriyaki Tofu with Satay Peanut Sauce (plant-based, gluten-free)I love baked teriyaki tofu, and here we add a satay peanut sauce, with cabbage-mashed-potatoes on the side. So comforting!
- Coconut Cranberry Spinach (plant-based, gluten-free)This is a fantastic coconut cranberry spinach dish originally from Tanzania (called mchicha wa nazi). It’s too good not to try it!
- Cuban Black Bean and Vegetable Risotto (plant-based, gluten-free)Cuban black bean and vegetable risotto is my new favorite way to eat rice! You cook the rice right in the same pot as a fragrant mix of onions, olive oil, spices, beans, broth, and potatoes.
- Orange Sesame Chicory Salad (plant-based, gluten-free)Chicory is a bitter salad green, a bit like arugula. The sweetness of the orange and earthiness of the sesame and balsamic in this salad balance it nicely.
- Healing Red Lentil Dal (plant-based, gluten-free)The first spoonful of red lentil dal goes into our mouths and immediately all the muscles in our face and shoulders relax. There’s a dreamy “wow that’s good” look spreading around the table.
This is our matrix for determining how sustainable each meal is:
- Time to make
- 1 = 3+ hours
- 2 = 1-2 hours
- 3 = <1 hour
- 1 = <4 servings
- 2 = 4-6 servings
- 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person
- 1 = >$10
- 2 = $5-10
- 3 = <$5
- 1 = inedible
- 2 = decent meal
- 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact
- 1 = wowzers (endangered/imported)
- 2 = moderate impact
- 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value
- 1 = eat rarely (high sugar/fat)
- 2 = healthy-ish
- 3 = optimal nutrition
Each factor is scored 1, 2, or 3 according to how long it takes, how much it costs, etc. Then the scores are all added up to get the overall sustainability score, which has a maximum of 18.
Anything that scores over 15 goes into our family favorites cookbook.
Recipes still to come…
Pigs in a blanket
Schwarzwalderkirschtorte (Black forest cake)
Ahashoo (nut taffy)
Tzimmes (brisket stew)
Amaretti (almond cookies)
Haddock fish and chips with tartar sauce
Aligot (potatoes and cheese)
Afghan biscuits (chocolate cookies)
Apple pandowdy (apples with dumplings)
Acar timun (pickles)
Steamed fish with ginger and scallions
Double chocolate pudding
Granny smith apples
Melon with strawberries and kirsch
Langue de chat cookies
Thomas’ English muffins
Sweet Georgia peaches
Blini with caviar
Baked Rome beauty apples with vanilla ice cream
Affogato (coffee and ice cream)
Anticuchos (beef kebabs)
Pots de creme au chocolat
Baked Idaho russet potatoes
Lady Baltimore cake
Apple pie (Cortland or Northern spy apples, cheddar crust)
Tapas: boquerones, tortillas de camarones, papas alina, patatas bravas, montados de lomo, chorizo a la plancha, anchovies, olives, cheese
McConnell’s Turkish coffee ice cream
Salami and eggs
Steamed syrup sponge pudding
Anzac biscuits (oat coconut cookies)
Zwetschgenknodel (plum-stuffed potato dumplings)
Pastrami and corned beef
Transylvanian baked sauerkraut with sausages
Angolotti (stuffed pasta)
Dried fruit compote
Fried clam roll
Bread fried in bacon grease
Victorian seed cake
Fresh onion soup
Shellfish in black bean sauce
Thai chicken curry
Kulebyaka (salmon dill mushroom pie)
Manhattan clam chowder
New England clam chowder
Kale caesar salad with crispy black beans
Chinese veggie stirfry
Saratoga potato chips
Idli and vada
Italian wedding soup
Turkey zucchini meatloaf
Scallop, bacon and pea pasta
Sesame ginger salmon
Creamy veggie soup
GBB7 Week 3 – Bread: Dampfnudel
Mousse au chocolat
Irish whiskey cheesecake
Scordolea (garlic mashed potatoes)
Yekik alich’a (yellow split peas with turmeric)
Chocolate bourbon cake
Kaeng keow wan (thai green curry chicken soup)
Artichauts a la Barigoule (peasant artichokes)
Roti / chapati with sambal
Dill and caraway
Aish-el-saraya (palace bread pudding)
Dulce de leche
Smorkage (butter cake)
Golden yoich (Chicken soup)
Murabba el balah (dates stuffed with almonds)
Aush (chili with noodles)
Aushak (leek ravioli with lamb sauce and yogurt)
Bharta (roasted eggplant mash)
Borani (spinach yogurt dip)
Bulanee gandana (flatbread with veggie filling)
Kebab-e-murgh (chicken kebabs)
Korma-e-sabzi (spinach stew)
Quabili palaw (chicken, rice, carrots, raisins)
Sambossas (like samosas)
Torshi (pickled vegetables)
Hawaiian sea salt
Shrimp ‘n grits with rose marie sauce
Funnel cakes (Jaffa cakes actually)
Ambrosia (fruit salad)
Benne wafers (sesame cookies)
Bread pudding with whiskey sauce
Corn on the cob
Eggs sardou (poached eggs with artichoke, spinach, hollandaise)
Gateau de crepes with creme St-Honore
Giant Syrian tomatoes
Green eggs and ham
Hash (meat, potatoes, onions)
Maque choux (smothered corn)
Muffaletta (Italian sub sandwich)
Nova smoked salmon
Po’boy (seafood sandwich)
Smoked salmon pizza with olive oil, dill creme and onions
Southern potato salad
Tuna salad sandwich
Wet bottom shoofly pie
Chimichurri (parsley garlic oregano olive sauce)
Anoush aboor (honey rice pudding)
Pavlova (meringue with fruit)
Bayrische semmelknodel (stale bread dumplings)
Dobosctorte (multi thin layer sponge with chocolate and caramel)
Griessklosschen (semolina dumpling soup)
Kaiserschmarren (fluffy shredded pancake)
Kartoffelklosse (potato dumplings)
Plunder (pastry with cherries or apricot)
Sachertorte (chocolate apricot cake)
Schokoladen topfenpalatschinken (chocolate-topped crepes)
Serviettenkloss (napkin dumplings)
Wiener schnitzel (chicken/veal cutlets)
Aselila (egg salad with walnuts and sage)
Scordolea (walnut garlic sauce)
Endive au jambon sauce mornay (endives with ham and cream sauce)
Waterzooi a la gantoise (creamy fish or chicken stew)
Farofa (toasted cassava flour)
Feijoada (black bean and pork stew)
Moqueca (coconut fish stew)
Vatapa (shrimp peanut stew)
Mamaliga and kachamak (corn porridge)
Mango panna cotta
Tong Yuen (sweet rice dumplings)
Calabaza (winter squash)
Callaloo (greens + coconut milk)
Beijing kao ya (Peking duck)
Candied apple fritters
Chengdu ji (chicken with ginger, garlic, celery)
Chuk sun (bamboo shoots)
Chung yau bang (scallion pancake)
Dan dan mian (spicy noodles with pork and vegetables)
Dau mui (garlicky pea shoots)
Gai see guen (rice noodles with shredded chicken)
Gau choy (chives)
Grated turnip cakes with pork
Guk char siu bau (steamed pork buns)
Guotie (pork and cabbage dumplings)
Hai xian jiang (hoisin sauce)
Har gow (shrimp dumplings)
Huajiao (sichuan pepper)
Li-tzu-tan-kao (Peking dust – chestnut, cream and nut dessert)
Parathas (flaky flatbread)
Qi guo ji (steam-pot chicken)
Seun lot tong (hot and sour soup)
Shi zi tou (stewed pork meatballs with cabbage)
Shiitake mushrooms with bok choy
Shiu mai (pork and mushroom dumplings)
Sijidou chao rousi (string beans with shredded pork)
Singapore mei fun (Singapore noodles like pad thai)
Siu loon bau (pork dumpling)
Tianzha hetao (candied nuts)
XO sauce (spicy umami seafood sauce)
Colombian supremo coffee
Cascos de guayaba (guava shells in syrup)
Flaeskeaeggekage (bacon and egg pancake)
Kamme (almond vanilla pastry combs)
Kodboller i selleri (meatballs with celery)
Kokt torsk (boiled cod)
Krammerhuse med flodeskum (crepe cake wraps with cream and jam)
Kransekager (marzipan ring cake)
Mordbrad med svedsker og aebler (roast pork loin with prune and apple stuffing)
Rejer (dilled shrimp)
Rodgrod med flode (red berry pudding)
Rodkal (red cabbage)
Smorrebrod (open faced dark rye sandwich)
Snegle (cinnamon swirl pastry)
Wienerbrod (Danish pastry)
Banketletters (almond letter pastry)
Hutspot met klapstuk (mashed veggies with braised beef)
Uitsmijters and broodjes (fried eggs and ham on bread)
Poppy seed strudel
Biram ruzz (baked rice with chicken)
Eesh baladi (flatbread)
Feteer (filled pastry)
Ful medames (fava bean stew)
Karkade (hibiscus tea)
Kosheri (rice, lentils, pasta, chick pea dish)
Mahalabia (milk pudding)
Om ali (puff pastry, milk, nut dessert)
Tamia (fava bean fritters)
Bangers and mash
Eccles cakes (small currant-filled cakes)
Gooseberry fool (cream and fruit dessert)
Cumberland sauce (port currant sauce)
Smoked bacon butty (sandwich)
Toad in the hole (sausages in yorkshire pudding batter)
York ham with Madeira sauce
Berbere (spice mix)
Doro wett (spiced chicken stew)
T’ej (honey wine)
Yataklete kilkil (vegetable stew with garlic and ginger)
Yedoro shorba (chicken soup with garlic and ginger)
Aubergine en caton (roasted eggplant)
Baeckeoffe (potato turnip casserole)
Beurre d’Isigny (homemade butter?)
Bireweche (Christmas fruit bread)
Bouillabaisse (fish stew)
Bourride (aioli fish stew)
Brandade de morue (whipped cod and potatoes)
Calissons d’Aix (almond paste candy)
Charcuterie (deli plates)
Chou farci a la Grassoise (savoy cabbage)
Choucroute de navets (turnip sauerkraut)
Choucroute garnie (dressed cabbage with sausages and potatoes)
Clafoutis limousin (cherry cake)
Confiture de groseilles (gooseberry jam)
Crepes dentelles (crispy buttery cookies)
Croque madame (ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top)
Croquembouche (choux puffs with caramel)
Gateau mille-feuilles (puff pastry slices with cream and chocolate)
Gateau pithiviers (2 puff pastry disks with apricot filling)
Gateau St. Honore (puff pastry, choux buns, pastry cream)
Kugelhopf (almond raisin brioche cake)
Oeufs a la neige and ile flottante (meringue and creme anglaise)
Pan bagnat (nicoise salad in a sandwich)
Poisson au beurre blanc
Pommes gaufrettes (waffle fries)
Poulet a l’estragon
Poulet farnese (roast chicken with hazelnuts and bay leaves)
Quenelles de brochet (fish cakes)
Radis au beurre
Salade Lyonnaise (frisee, bacon, poached egg)
Salsify (parsnip relative)
Socca (chickpea flour flatbread)
Sole a le meuniere (panfried sole with butter, lemon, parsley)
Soupe a l’oignon
Soupe au pistou (French minestrone)
Tate flambee alsacienne (cream, bacon, onion pizza)
Tourte de blette sucree (swiss chard tart)
Truite au bleu (poached trout with potatoes)
Tuiles (wafer cone cookies)
Lobio satsivi (green beans in walnut sauce)
Tkemali (plum sauce)
Baumkuchen / Jaffa cake
Berliner pfannkuchen (jam-filled iced donuts)
Bohmischer karpfen (bohemian carp)
Frankfurter pudding (almond raisin orange cake)
Gurkensalat (cucumber salad)
Mohr im hemd (chocolate hazelnut pudding)
Obstkuchen (fruit tart)
Rote grutze (red berry pudding)
Salkartoffeln (boiled potatoes)
Salzstangen (pretzel sticks)
Schillerlocken (pastry tubes with cream)
Streuselkuchen (crumb cake)
Weihnachtsgeback (Christmas cookies)
Pastitsio (Greek lasagna)
Diri ak djon-djon (black mushroom rice)
Halaszle (fisherman’s stew)
Hungarian apple strudel
Szeged gulyas (pork goulash)
Biryani (mixed rice and meat)
Papadums (crisp flatbread)
Bhel puri (puffed rice, vegetables, and tamarind sauce)
Dhansak (meat with lentils and vegetables)
Dosa (rice crepes)
Ekuri (ginger scrambled eggs)
Kachori (samosa stuffed with dal)
Kulfi (Indian ice cream)
Lamb vindaloo (lamb curry)
Mulligatawny soup (coconut lentil carrot apple curry)
Pakora and bhajia (onion chick pea fritters)
Phirni (rice/tapioca pudding)
Saag gosht (lamb and spinach curry)
Tandoori murgh (roasted yogurt-spiced chicken)
Thali: raita, sabzi, dum aloo, roti, pickles (platter)
Uthappam with raita (vegetable pizza/pancake with fermented batter)
Vagharela chawal ne murghi (caramelized rice with chicken curry)
Ajam roedjak (meat in spicy coconut milk)
Loempia (Indonesian spring rolls)
Nasi goreng (fried rice with meat and vegetables)
Nasi padang / rijsttafel (rice with a bunch of small plates)
Otak-otak (grilled fish cake)
Pisang goreng (banana fritters)
Rendang (spicy meat)
Sambal goreng (chili paste)
Seroendeng (spicy fried coconut condiment)
Soto ajam (chicken noodle soup)
Ash-e anar (pomegranate split pea soup with meatballs)
Chelo kebab (rice and kebabs)
Irish breakfast (bacon rashers, pork sausages, fried eggs (or scrambled), white pudding, black pudding, toast and fried tomato. Sauteed field mushrooms are also sometimes included, as well as baked beans, hash browns, liver, and brown soda bread)
Alici (anchovies with spaghetti)
Buccellato (fig and nut Christmas cake)
Cacio e pepe (spaghetti with pecorino and pepper)
Cappelletti (circular ravioli)
Carciofi romaneschi (herb-stuffed artichokes)
Carta da musica (semolina crackers)
Cassoeula (pork and cabbage)
Castagnaccio (chestnut cake)
Fichi ripieni al forno (figs stuffed with nuts)
Fritto misto di pesce
Gelato en briocha (brioche bun ice cream sandwich)
Giardiniera (pickled vegetables)
Grilled scampi with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic
Insalata di frutti di mare
Merluzzo in bianco
Mostarda di cremona (fruit / mustard condiment)
Orzotto (barley risotto)
Pan de patata (potato bread)
Pane sciocco (bread without salt)
Panelle (chickpea fritters)
Panforte di Siena (chocolate, fruit, nut chewy dessert)
Panzanella (bread, tomato, onion salad)
Pizzoccheri (short buckwheat tagliatelle)
Pollo al mattone (chicken grilled with a brick)
Rao’s lemon chicken
Risotto al frutti di mare
Risotto Milanese (parmesan saffron risotto)
Risotto saltato (leftover risotto pancakes)
Sartu di riso (rice with meat sauce, peas, mushrooms)
Spaghetti a vongole
Spaghetti gricia (bacon, pecorino, pepper)
Sugo di uva (grape pudding)
Tartufi ice cream
Black fruitcake (rum-soaked burnt sugar fruitcake)
Blue mountain coffee
Sorrel punch (hibiscus drink)
Kohaku suzuke (pickled cucumbers)
Bean paste mochi
Chawanmushi (savory egg custard)
Hakuto no dengaku (miso-glazed eggplant)
Hiyayakko (chilled tofu)
Kabocha no sawayaka ni (lemon-simmered kabocha squash)
Kamameshi (mixed rice pilaf)
Kasutera (sponge cake)
Kyuri (Japanese cucumber)
Natto (fermented soybeans)
Nuta (mustard-miso dressing)
Ochazuke (rice with poured tea, salmon, vegetables)
Senbei (rice crackers)
Subasu (lotus root)
Tamagoyaki (rolled omelette)
Wagyu (kobe beef)
Washoku (traditional Japanese cooking)
Yakitori (chicken skewers)
Berengena frita (fried eggplant)
Bialys (flatbread bagels)
Charoset (dark fruit nut paste)
Chelo (Persian rice)
Cholent (slow cooked beef bean potato onion honey paprika stew)
Choresh bademjon (eggplant tomato stew)
Choresh qormeh sabzi (green herb, bean, and meat stew)
Gehakte leber (chopped liver and onions)
Halvah (sweet sesame treat)
Hamantaschen and orejas de haman (poppyseed filled pocket cookies)
Keftes de prasa (leek patties)
Knishes (baked dumplings with meat, potatoes, kraut)
Kookoo sabzi (green Persian frittata)
Lekach (honey ginger cake)
Matzo brei (scrambled matzo with eggs)
Megina (Passover meat casserole/pie)
Mushroom and barley soup
Nigella sativa (black cumin)
Nohut (chick pea stew)
Passover sponge cake
Pickled green peppers
Pizza ebraica (sweet filled cookie with nuts, raisins, wine, fruit)
Shvartze retach mit schmaltz (radish onion relish)
Silan (date honey syrup)
Gochujang (chili paste)
Japchae (noodle stirfry)
Saenggang cha (ginger tea)
Yangnyeom dak (sweet and sour chicken)
Arepas (corn patties)
Picadillo (ground meat, raisins, olives, tomato, spices)
Tostones (fried plantains)
Kibbeh (bulgur, onion, meat croquettes)
Asam laksa (spicy salmon noodle soup)
Kuih (steamed coconut rice custard cake)
Nasi ayam (chicken fried rice)
Nyonya rojak (savory fruit and vegetable salad)
Poh piah (fresh spring roll)
Pulot hitam (black sticky rice pudding)
Huachinango a la veracruzana (snapper with wine, olives, raisins, spices)
Huevos rancheros (tortilla, egg, salsa, beans)
Mole (chocolate chili sauce)
Natilla (vanilla lemon cinnamon egg custard)
Sopa de tortilla
Verduras en escabeche (citrus pickled vegetables)
Baba ghanoush (eggplant dip)
Borek (stuffed phyllo pastry)
Cacik (cucumber yogurt dip)
Nan-o panir-o-gerdu (feta walnut spread)
Semsemiyeh (sesame candy)
Za’atar (toasted sesame seed spice mix)
Briks and briouats (Moroccan samosas)
Kab el ghzal (almond-filled crescent cookies)
M’hanncha (almond pastry snake cake)
Mssiyar (pickled lemons)
Sweet and savory roasted fish
Piri-piri shrimp (shrimp in red pepper sauce)
Akara (black eyed pea fritters)
Efo riro (spinach stew)
Chakchouka (eggs baked in tomato, onion, pepper)
Chermoula (herb garlic lemon marinade)
Harira (tomato lentil chickpea meat soup)
Matbucha (tomato and pepper salad)
Tagine (vegetable casserole)
Choclo (giant corn)
Papa morada (sweet corn pudding)
Pollo a la brasa (marinated roasted chicken)
Bigos (cabbage sausage stew)
Kutya (sweet wheat berry pudding)
Mazurek (sweet, flat jam cake)
Fios de ovos (egg yolks boiled in sugar syrup into threads)
Malasadas (yeast donut)
Borscht (beet soup)
Chervil (French parsley)
Guriev kasha (sweet kasha porridge)
Kotlety pozharskie (ground chicken cutlet)
Paska (Easter bread)
Kvass (fermented rye drink)
Marinovannye griby (marinated mushrooms)
Pelmeni (filled meat dumplings with sour cream)
Knackebrod (multiseed crispbread)
Lefse (potato flatbread)
Rugbrod (Danish rye bread)
Wienerpolser (hot dogs)
Langoustines with hollandaise sauce
Hibiscus petal juice
Mafe (meat-tomato-peanut butter stew)
Palaver sauce (stew of meat, fish, greens)
Thiakry (sweet millet pudding)
Thiebu djen (fish and rice stew)
Torta od oraha (walnut cake)
Lassi (fruit yogurt drink)
Murtabak (spicy folded omelette pancake with vegetables)
Bobotie (curried meat and fruit casserole with egg topping)
Bunny chow (bread loaf filled with curry)
Fufu dumplings (yam dumplings)
Imifino patties (greens and cornmeal patties)
Ithanga (pumpkin fritters)
Koeksisters (sticky braided donuts)
Mbatata (sweet potato cookies)
Sik sik wat (beef red pepper stew)
Simsim (sesame seed honey balls)
Umngqusho (baked curry beans and potatoes)
Tortilla espanola (egg and potato omelet)
Caldo gallego (white bean and greens soup)
Dulce de cascara de naranja amarga (marmalae)
Huevos estrellados (broken eggs, ham, peppers)
Mariscada en salsa verde (seafood stew in green sauce)
Paella with saffron (seafood, sausage, rice)
Sopa de ajo castellana (garlic soup with eggs)
Arter med flask (pea soup with pork)
Hasselbackspotatis (baked potatoes)
Platter (Swedish pancakes)
Semlor / fastelavnsboller (cardamom sweet buns with almond filling and whipped cream)
Rosti (hash browns)
Zuger kirschtorte (cherry meringue sponge torte)
Gai yang (Thai marinated grilled chicken)
Ginger fried rice
Kaeng musmun (Massaman thai curry)
Kaeng phet (red curry)
Mee krob (crispy stir-fried noodles)
Sangkhaya (coconut custard)
Tom kha gai (chicken coconut soup)
Cerkez tavugu (Circassian chicken with walnuts)
Kilic sis (BBQ fish skewers)
Lahmajoun (Armenian ground beef pizza)
Manti (meat dumplings with egg pasta dough and garlic yogurt sauce)
Rahat lokum (Turkish delight)
Simit (sesame seed bread ring)
Tsetov gangar (artichoke, lemon, potato salad)
Korovai (decorated braided bread)
Kotlety po-kievski (Chicken kiev)
Bun cha gio (pork and noodle salad)
Ca chien (fried fish)
Cha ca la vong (turmeric and dill fish)
Chao tom (sugar cane shrimp)
Goi du du (green papaya salad)
GBB1 Week 1 – Cake: Victoria Sponge Cake
GBB1 Week 5 – Pastry: Cornish Pasty
GBB2 Week 1 – Cake: Coffee and Walnut Battenberg
GBB2 Week 3 – Bread: Foccaccia
GBB2 Week 4 – Biscuits: Brandy Snaps
GBB2 Week 7 – Patisserie: Iced Buns
GBB2 Week 8 – The Final: Sachertorte
GBB3 Week 1 – Cake: Rum Baba
GBB3 Week 3 – Tart: Treacle Tart
GBB3 Week 4 – Desserts: Crème Caramel
GBB3 Week 7 – Sweet Dough: Jam Doughnut
GBB3 Week 8 – Biscuits: Chocolate Teacakes
GBB3 Week 9 – Patisserie: Fraiser Cake
GBB3 Week 10 – The Final: Fondant Fancies
GBB4 Week 1 – Cake: Angel Food Cake
GBB4 Week 3 – Desserts: Floating Islands
GBB4 Week 4 – Pies and Tarts: Egg Custard Tarts
GBB4 Week 5 – Biscuits and Traybakes: Tuiles
GBB4 Week 6 – Sweet Dough: Apricot Couronne
GBB4 Week 7 – Pastry: Religieuses
GBB4 Week 8 – Quarter Final: Hazelnut Dacquoise
GBB4 Week 9 – Semi Final: Charlotte Royal
GBB4 Week 10 – The Final: Pretzels
GBB5 Week 1 – Cake: Cherry Cake
GBB5 Week 2 – Biscuits: Florentines
GBB5 Week 4 – Desserts: Tiramisu Cakes
GBB5 Week 5 – Pies and Tarts: Mini Pear Pies
GBB5 Week 6 – European Cakes: Prinsesstarta
GBB5 Week 7 – Pastries: Kouign-Amann
GBB5 Week 9 – Patisserie: Schichttorte
GBB6 Week 1 – Cake: Frosted Walnut Layer Cake
GBB6 Week 2 – Biscuits: Ariettes
GBB6 Week 4 – Desserts: Spanische Windtorte
GBB6 Week 6 – Pastry: Flaounes
GBB6 Week 7 – Victorian: Tennis Cake
GBB6 Week 8 – Patisserie: Mokatines
GBB6 Week 9 – Chcolate: Chocolate Souffle
GBB6 Week 10 – The Final: Millie-feuille
GBB7 Week 1 – Cake: Jaffa Cakes
GBB7 Week 2 – Biscuits: Viennese Whirls
GBB7 Week 4 – Batter: Lace Pancakes
GBB7 Week 6 – Botanical: Fresh Herb Fougasse
GBB7 Week 7 – Dessert: Marjolaine
GBB7 Week 8 – Tudor: Jumble Biscuits
GBB7 Week 9 – Patisserie: Savarin with Chantilly Cream
GBB7 Week 10 – Final: Victoria Sandwich
GBB8 Week 1- Chocolate Mini Rolls
GBB8 Week 2 – Fortune Cookies
GBB8 Week 4 – Stroopwafels
GBB8 Week 5 – Molten Chocolate Puddings
GBB8 Week 6 – Pastéis de Nata
GBB8 Week 8 – Cumberland Rum Nicky
GBB8 Week 9 – Les Misérables Slices
GBB8 Week 10 – Iced Ginger Biscuits
GBB9 Week 1- Wagon Wheels
GBB9 Week 2 – Le Gâteau Vert
GBB9 Week 4 – Raspberry Blancmange with 12 Langues du Chat Biscuits
GBB9 Week 5 – Ma’amoul
GBB9 Week 6 – Puits d’amour
GBB9 Week 7 – Vegan Tropical Fruit Pavlova
GBB9 Week 8 – Æbleskiver
GBB9 Week 9 – Torta Setteveli
GBB9 Week 10 – Campfire Pita Breads
GBB10 Week 1- Angel Slices
GBB10 Week 2 – Fig Rolls
GBB10 Week 4 – Maids of Honour
GBB10 Week 5 – Beignet Souffles
GBB10 Week 6 – Verrines
GBB10 Week 7 – Sicilian Cassatelles
GBB10 Week 9 – Gâteau Saint Honoré
GBB10 Week 10 – Stilton Soufflés
376 thoughts on “1,000 Sustainable Food Experiments”
Pingback: Japanese Cucumber Salad – Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Superfood Salad, Two Ways (plant-based, gluten-free) – My Blog
Pingback: Dad’s Porridge (plant-based, gluten-free) – My Blog
Pingback: Chili with Mushrooms and Zucchini (plant-based, gluten-free) – My Blog
Pingback: Ratatouille for Summer: Recipe #190 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Easy Roasted Almonds: Recipe #163 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Cheezy Spinach Artichoke Dip: Recipe #282 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Maple Apple Oatmeal Raisin Muffins (Plant-Based and Gluten-Free): Recipe #281 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Nonna's Pasta Bolognese: Recipe #1 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Superfood Salad: Recipe #2 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Pad Thai, California-Style: Recipe #3 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Crispy Baked Chicken: Recipe #4 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Hot Fudge and Butterscotch Sundaes: Recipe #5 of 1000 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Onigiri Rice Balls: Recipe #6 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Burgers Italian-Style: Recipe #7 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Strawberry Pastry Roll: Recipe #8 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Garlic Eggplant with Zucchini: Recipe #11 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Peach Danishes from Austria: Recipe #13 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Cream of Leek Soup: Recipe #15 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Moroccan Chicken Couscous: Recipe #16 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Chocolate Banana Squares: Recipe #17 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Asparagus Soup with Turkey Dumplings: Recipe #18 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar Oranges: Recipe #19 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Canadian Tourtiere: Recipe #20 - Maitri Cooks
Pingback: Fluffy Apple Pancakes: Recipe #21 - Maitri Cooks